Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am two days into my next experiment -

1 litre Tesco Pure Exotic Juice

1 litre WGJ

700g sugar

Half a cup of black tea

1 tsp Pectolase

1 tsp Nutrient

1 tsp Youngs super wine yeast.

1 tsp Glycerine

I normally add two litres of the main juice and one of WGJ (or RGJ if making Rose) but as the Tesco Pure Exotic Juice is 100% juice i decided to just use one in each DJ.

The lava lamp effect is in full flow. :thumb:

I will add a short review when it has finished.

This juice is £1 per litre at the moment.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients

Pineapple Juice from Concentrate (37%),Orange Juice From Concentrate (34%) ,Apple Juice From Concentrate (25%) ,Passion Fruit Juice from Concentrate (1.6%) ,Banana Puree (1.2%) ,Mango Puree (1.2%)

From another thread -

Chippy_Tea said:
I have never tried Pomegranate and RGJ but my favourite WOW so far is Pomegranate and WGJ

I decided to put two brews on today as curiosity got the better of me, i look forward to comparing the two -

Number 1 -

2 litres Pomegranate juice drink (tesco)

1 litre Red grape juice (tesco)

Number 2 -

1 litre white grape juice (tesco)

Plus -

650g sugar making 1000g total.

tps Youngs super wine yeast

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

I will post the results when its finished. :cheers:

The Tesco Pure Exotic Juice (3 posts above) is now bottled, as i wasn't keen the original WOW i wasn't expecting much but am pleasantly surprised, its a little rough so i am going to leave it a few weeks, the other half thinks its great as it is and says there is no flavour that stands out on its own its just has a nice fruity taste, i guess i will be putting more of this on soon.

Still only £1 per litre - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =252530666 :cheers:

I have just put on a gallon of Pomegranate and a gallon of Apple & Raspberry which i haven't tried before, hope it tastes as good as it smells. :cheers:

2 litres Tesco Apple & Raspberry Juice Drink

Plus -

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients

Apple Juice From Concentrate (48%),Water ,Raspberry Purée (8%) ,Glucose-Fructose Syrup ,Sugar ,Malic Acid ,Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

Glad you have found it of use, I can only take credit for putting all the recipes in one thread, i have posted the names of the members who originally posted them in the forum in every post unless they are my own.

:cheers:

Just a quick note in case you missed it in my first post in the thread.

The original Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) guide suggests using 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre white grape juice (WGJ) i found the end result to be a bit watery tasting so now make all my WOW variants using 2 litres of the main juice and 1 litre of either red grape juice (RGJ) or white grape juice (WGJ)

The great thing about WOW variants and supermarket juice wine is its cheap to make so you can mess about with the ingredients to find your favourite.

I would recommend following the WOW guide to the letter the first time you make a WOW then you can decide if you need to add extra juice next time to make it stronger, you don't really need a hydrometer so you can skip that bit, as the guide says "Trust me, if you’ve used the sugar quantities I’ve suggested you will have an OG around 1.085 - 1.090 and should be heading for a wine of 12-13% alcohol", having said that if you are going to make a lot of wine at only a few pounds they are a useful tool.

Oaked Blackcurrant WOW

2L RGJ
750g cooked mashed blackcurrants
600g sugar
1 mug black tea
1tsp each pectolase, yeast nutrient & oak chips
Water to 4.75L
General purpose wine yeast

Started yesterday, OG of 1083. Hopefully ready for Christmas. 100% experimental!

Nice one.

To help anyone else that wants to try this, How do you cook the blackcurrants, where do you get the oak chips and how much do you add per gallon?

Chippy_Tea said:
Nice one.

To help anyone else that wants to try this, How do you cook the blackcurrants, where do you get the oak chips and how much do you add per gallon?

For the blackcurrants, I put them in a pan with enough water to half-cover, brought to the boil and cooked for about two minutes, then left to cool before mashing and freezing. To defrost, I reheated in a pan with a little extra water over a low heat, and immediately added to the mix once defrosted.

You can buy oak chips in any good home brew shop. I used a level teaspoon of the chips, yeast nutrient and pectolase, as listed in the recipe.

The recipe is for 1 gallon. It comes out at over a gallon because of the blackcurrant pulp, which will be removed at first racking. It's currently in a 5L PET bottle, which gives it plenty of headspace, and will be strained into a glass DJ next weekend once the initial fermentation has died down (and once I've bought myself a nice shiny new syphon, since I have doubts about how sanitary my current one is). The blackcurrant pulp will eventually end up on my allotment as compost, the same as all the fruit pulps I end up with from wine & jelly making.

I've only a vague idea of how this will turn out as I'm not following a recipe, just guessing.

A word of warning if you try the Tesco Apple & Raspberry Juice Drink recipe 6 posts above, this goes off like a rocket a bit like the original WOW, i only filled to the shoulder and it escaped on day two, it has settled a bit but is still doing the lava lamp, takes me back to my first WOW. :lol:

The test below (full post 9 above) is now bottled and we both prefer the red grape juice version. :cheers:

Number 1 -

1 litre Red grape juice (tesco)

Number 2 -

psycho46 posted.

1.5 litre - Orange,Mango & Passionfruit
1 litre - RGJ.
Followed the WOW Guide to the letter for the extras

All seems a little complicated to me. I use 4 Ltrs of whatever juice I find apple/pineapple/grape/grape mixes/orange/ etc. I then add approx 750 grams of white granulated sugar to give me a reading of 1100 a spoonful of youngs wine yeast compound. Bottle it when it's finished and clear. Drink it. End of. :rofl:

Chippy_Tea said:
I have just put on a gallon of Pomegranate and a gallon of Apple & Raspberry which i haven't tried before, hope it tastes as good as it smells. :cheers:

2 litres Tesco Apple & Raspberry Juice Drink

Plus -

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients

Apple Juice From Concentrate (48%),Water ,Raspberry Purée (8%) ,Glucose-Fructose Syrup ,Sugar ,Malic Acid ,Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

I have just bottled this and its turned out better than i expected, i will defiantly be putting one on again in the near future. :cheers:

I have just put two DJ's of the above on (see last post) Tesco have brought out a new Apple and Raspberry 1 litre juice drink (not from concentrate)
Apple 91% and Rasberry 9%, as its 100% juice i have only used one per DJ and a litre of WGJ in each. :cheers:

I altered the sugar to 750g to make 1000g total

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

Chippy_Tea said:
I have just put two DJ's of the above on (see last post) Tesco have brought out a new Apple and Raspberry 1 litre juice drink (not from concentrate)
Apple 91% and Rasberry 9%, as its 100% juice i have only used one per DJ and a litre of WGJ in each. :cheers:

I altered the sugar to 750g to make 1000g total

tsp nutrient

Half cup of black tea

tsp Citric acid

tsp Pectolase

tsp Glycerine

Only one? What else you going to put in to make up the 5 Ltrs. ???

bryanandjudie said:

1 ltrs apple and raspberry and 1 ltr wgj, but because the apple and raspberry is 100% juice if you put two in the dj its abit full on. most juice drinks shop bought contain a percentage of water within them and are not 100% juice.

i made 2 djs of this one with wgj and one with rgj. i much prefer the wgj.

whitts. said:
bryanandjudie said:

1 ltrs apple and raspberry and 1 ltr wgj, but because the apple and raspberry is 100% juice if you put two in the dj its abit full on. most juice drinks shop bought contain a percentage of water within them and are not 100% juice.

i made 2 djs of this one with wgj and one with rgj. i much prefer the wgj.

Spot on Whitts, most of the juices i get from Tesco are around 40% juice, i found using one carton of juice and one of either red or white grape juice tasted watery when finished, i always try to get 100% juice drinks and like you just add one and a WGJ (as you i prefer white) if i cannot get 100% i add two cartons to the DJ and one WGJ (or RGJ)

This is from my first post in this thread -

This bit is important please read in full

The WOW guide below suggests using 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre white grape juice, i found the end result to be a bit watery so now make all my WOW variants using 2 litres of the main juice and 1 litre of either red grape juice (RGJ) or white grape juice (WGJ).
I would advise all new members to follow the WOW guide to the letter using one litre of the main juice and either one litre of white grape juice or one litre of red grape juice then alter the recipes if the finished wine is not to your taste.

Back