Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my BIPA all prepped and ready for brew day tomorrow for the 4 way brew off.
everyone keeping their recipes very hush hush atm, I think the competition may be hotting up between @Leon103 @dan125 @dave_77

Finalised my recipe this morning, and working hard on freeing up enough keg space to get my current brew out of the FV.
acheers.

Been over a year since I brewed anything dark, so looking forward to this athumb..

My effort is now in the fridge.
acheers.
20201018_152715.jpg

So the Black IPA still remains a secret and await judging/brew off next week.

Today's day off gave me a chance to brew a pilsner. The idea was to use up some malt and hops that I had whilst giving me a straight forward brew to try out pressure fermenting in my new FS2.

Attached is the recipe and it was nice brewing in the winter sun whilst getting a few outside jobs done - clearing leaves that have fallen from all the trees. Whilst I also did some overdue jobs in the brewery, namely a deep clean of the fermentation fridge, cleaning my taps and opening a few bottles that had either been sat a while or their labels had fallen off. I also had a couple of Saison's whilst enjoying the sun and feeding the chickens the spent grain.

A pretty straight forward brewday, although I did identify an issue with my Inkbird temperature device, it seemed to be running high, even when out of the wort, I think it was because the whole device was getting hot sat on top of the kettle. The other issue was that I didn't really think through how I would get the wort from the kettle into the FS2, luckily I was able to prop up on a up turned grolsch crate and use some spare gas tube from the tap.

Just over 27 litres sat in the fridge. It was nice to brew slightly bigger batch. I had 24.5 come out of the kettle, where usually I would have been throwing some wort, today I could put it all in and top up the rest.

Attachments

• cam pils.png
    cam pils.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 91
After letting the pils lager in the fermenter for a few weeks, I kegged last week. It dropped down to 1.08 to give me a nice 4.8% beer.

I tried a couple of pints since and it is really nice, light and refreshing. The hops certainly add something different to previous versions.

Time to plan some brews in the new year. Things have been swerve called a little by winning a cml comp and getting the following hops in the post. Now what shall I brew with them.

40g azzaca
100g target
50g archer
50g Columbus
50g Idaho
50g m. Hood
100g us ipa mix
100g us c hop mix
75g magnum
110g fuggles
170g first gold
115g olicana
105g cascade
50g target
75g mosaic
50g admiral
25g bramling cross
65g rakau
50g archer

After letting the pils lager in the fermenter for a few weeks, I kegged last week. It dropped down to 1.08 to give me a nice 4.8% beer.

I tried a couple of pints since and it is really nice, light and refreshing. The hops certainly add something different to previous versions.

Time to plan some brews in the new year. Things have been swerve called a little by winning a cml comp and getting the following hops in the post. Now what shall I brew with them.

40g azzaca
100g target
50g archer
50g Columbus
50g Idaho
50g m. Hood
100g us ipa mix
100g us c hop mix
75g magnum
110g fuggles
170g first gold
115g olicana
105g cascade
50g target
75g mosaic
50g admiral
25g bramling cross
65g rakau
50g archer
Nice selection 👍

The latest pilsner is going down well with friends and SWMBO so I will look to send this out to a few seasoned brewers.

On Saturday I managed to get my first brew of 2021 on, a DIPA which will be going head to head with @dan125 @dave_77 and @Hoddy. For those reasons I won't post the recipe yet as I believe I am the first to brew. Brewed a smaller than normal batch which caused me some issues in getting my water right, I don't think BS was right with the figures.

I am aiming for around 8%abv with this one. Fermentation took off at great speed, looking forward to trying this one in a few weeks.

The latest pilsner is going down well with friends and SWMBO so I will look to send this out to a few seasoned brewers.

On Saturday I managed to get my first brew of 2021 on, a DIPA which will be going head to head with @dan125 @dave_77 and @Hoddy. For those reasons I won't post the recipe yet as I believe I am the first to brew. Brewed a smaller than normal batch which caused me some issues in getting my water right, I don't think BS was right with the figures.

I am aiming for around 8%abv with this one. Fermentation took off at great speed, looking forward to trying this one in a few weeks.
Gonna be messy 4 pints of 7-8% DIPA's😋🍺

Back