Elvis juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidmilce

Reaction score
Anyone done this from DIY dog?
Need some ideas on how much grapefruit peel to add for 20l AG brew. Any help appreciated.

I have exactly the same question!!

I've never added peel to a FV so I have no idea on what it too little or too much. Anyone got recommendations even in general for adding peel (and how much) to impart flavour?

A good technique I've read about to an any fruit/herb flavour is to first soak the herb/fruit, in this case grapefruit peel in vodka for a week or so. I wouldn't add the pith if you can as I understand this is bitter. Then just before bottling time take 1/2-1 pint of beer out of the FV and add a few drops of your grapefruit peel infused vodka. Then taste. If it's not as as grapefruity as you want add some more. Keep going until your happy. Then just scale your pint up for the whole batch. Then bottle
I've never tried this but have seen it done in a youtube vid and the bloke seemed to like the results

Interesting.. I'll take a look.

The brew dog recipe book warns to make sure you don't get any pith in it as it's very bitter.

if you peel the fruit then place the peel in a bag in freezer. when froze its much easier to get the outer part needed by using the part of a grater that you would use for grating nutmeg or parmesan. you know the fine part?
its easy this way and you can judge it so you don't grate any of the bitter white pith.

I have another question about Elvis Juice...

On the recipe it shows this schedule:

Magnum 2.5g start (bittering)
Simcoe 12.5g middle (flavour)
Amarillo 12.5g middle (flavour)
Mosaic 25g end (flavour)
City 25g end (flavour)
Amarillo 12.5g end (flavour)
Simcoe 12.5g end (flavour)
Citra 50g dry hop (aroma)
Amarillo 50g dry hop (aroma)
Simcoe 50g dry hop (aroma).

Do they really mean 2.5g of magnum for bittering? In beer smith, that recipe produces an IBU of 26 whereas the Brewdog version states IBU of 60. If I take the decimal point out and put in 25g of magnum, it comes in at 60.

Thoughts? I'll try and contact brewdog too

i brewed some Elvis juice and followed the recipe by the book. I had a pretty bad brew day and things didn't go to plan which may have contributed to this, but i would say even following the recipe it was VERY bitter. My bottles have been conditioning for 3.5 weeks now and it has mellowed a bit.

Regarding peel added. I used a potato peeler to peel off the top layer of the skin of 2 large red grapefruits and 1 large orange. Weighed about 40g which i dropped into the FV and left along with the dry hops for 4-5 days. It certainly smells of grapefruit (although it did before i added the skin) but nowhere near as grapefruity as the BrewDog version, which imho is too much.

Thanks very much.

Brewdog have just sent me this.

I've asked our brewery team, 2.5g is correct. You may be lower on IBUs with the DIY Dog recipes as we achieve a way higher hop utilisation with our commercial kit. My advice is to use 2.5g and check the outcome at tasting - the recipes are there to be customised, after all!

Interesting, i'm keen to try this one as well from the Brewdog recipe sheet and noticed that the bittering hop was only 2.5g for 20 lts which seemed very low.

Good to see that Brewdog actually replied and confirmed that it was correct.

Any more reviews on this one ???

Stroll.

Interesting, i'm keen to try this one as well from the Brewdog recipe sheet and noticed that the bittering hop was only 2.5g for 20 lts which seemed very low.

Good to see that Brewdog actually replied and confirmed that it was correct.

Any more reviews on this one ???

Stroll.

its nice to know that they havent forgotten theyre roots - the home brewers themselves :)

Well I made this one and bottled it today, love the Brewdog Elvis Juice and hoping mine will be close, certainly smells very grapefruity and tasting a little drop makes me think this could be my best brew EVER............2 weeks time will tell I suppose but i'm very hopeful :whistle:

Stroll.

...been looking at some recipes for Elvis Juice and one suggests a 14 day secondary fermentation / dry hop including the grapefruit peel. Is this after racking into another fv and where would you keep it...chilled or otherwise?

Cheers

Clint

...been looking at some recipes for Elvis Juice and one suggests a 14 day secondary fermentation / dry hop including the grapefruit peel. Is this after racking into another fv and where would you keep it...chilled or otherwise?

Cheers

Clint

The way I did it was as follows : with 10 mins to go of the boil I added the orange and grapefruit peel, then at the dry hop stage, about 4 days before bottling I just threw in some more grapefruit peel directly into the FV along with the hops in a muslin bag. I only chill the night before I bottle.

Seems to have worked, lovely tasting beer........:thumb:

Stroll.

I added grapefruit to a wheat a while ago, I put the peel in a pan with some boiling water and reduced the lot to a syrup and added that to the secondary, came out spot on ! Can't remember the quantities though !

@strollon15, how did yours turn out? How much peel did you use in the kettle an for dry hopping?

It would be great to know as this is my favourite Brewdog beer and I'm gonna brew it myself one day soon.

Thanks.

It turned out very well, certainly similar to the real thing even though I reduced the ABV to 4.5% as the original 6.5% was a bit too high for me really.

I only did an 11lt batch and used a organic orange and two organic grapefruits, just the rind and was careful not to add the pith as that would increase the bittering.

Added 10g of orange and grapefruit with 5 minutes of the boil left and then added 20g of grapefruit with the dry hop with 4 days to go before bottling.

The finished beer is similar and I can certainly taste the grapefruit hit, however it's not as much as the Elvis juice so next time i'm going to add more rind, cut up into thin strips to see if that will give an even bigger grapefruit sensation.

Hope that helps, any more questions just ask :thumb:

It turned out very well, certainly similar to the real thing even though I reduced the ABV to 4.5% as the original 6.5% was a bit too high for me really.

I only did an 11lt batch and used a organic orange and two organic grapefruits, just the rind and was careful not to add the pith as that would increase the bittering.

Added 10g of orange and grapefruit with 5 minutes of the boil left and then added 20g of grapefruit with the dry hop with 4 days to go before bottling.

The finished beer is similar and I can certainly taste the grapefruit hit, however it's not as much as the Elvis juice so next time i'm going to add more rind, cut up into thin strips to see if that will give an even bigger grapefruit sensation.

Hope that helps, any more questions just ask :thumb:

Thanks for getting back to me. Did you add the peel directly or soak it in rum or vodka or something?

This is really useful. I'm definitely going to brew this one day in the next few months when I get a chance. I had no idea where to start with the amount of peel, but I have a starting point now.

Latest posts

Back