James Morton on BBC Radio 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the line "people have realised the beer made in the 60's and 70's wasn't actually that good" its something we see here many times in introduction threads.

I thought it was a nice little segment and i usually can't stand Steve Wright. Very positive towards home brewing in the short time he had.

That is well worth 8 minutes of anyone's time, if it gets more people into home brewing great.

I like the line "people have realised the beer made in the 60's and 70's wasn't actually that good" its something we see here many times in introduction threads.

Yes, and it's something I tell people when the find out I'm a home brewer. They often turn their noses up when I ask them to come round my house and taste some of my home brew. They soon change their tune when they do taste it though :thumb:

Jas

The presenter jokes "there are so many kinds of beer in this book, and you can make beer out of almost anything. If I gave you a cardboard box, you might be able to make some beer out of it". Funnily enough, the right species of Brett would probably be able to eat the cellulose in the cardboard. Not an experiment that is high on my list of priorities though.

I enjoyed that ... :thumb: :thumb:

... but took a bit of offence at the comment "the beer made in the 60's and 70's wasn't actually that good"!

Maybe the kits weren't that good and maybe the techniques employed were very basic when compared to today, but some of the recipes that were developed by people who knew what they were doing (not me I might add) were very nice indeed.

I always used extract recipes that were given to me by a refinery superintendent I worked with called Mike Toop. Mike was a formidable home-brewer who was experimenting with beers when the pastime was in its infancy; and as a result of his input I can't remember ever brewing from a kit ...

... but I tasted the results often enough to avoid them! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back