Cranberry Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Aiming for a red wine, might turn out a light red or rose, lets see.

340g Dried Cranberries - blended - no sorbate used on packets
500g Greek Currents - blended
700g of Sugar
(total sugar 339g currents, 243g cranberries & 700g = 1282g)

No tannin or redbush (cranberries high anti-oxidant), no citric as these ingredients should have enough of each in them. Cooling at moment, then will add Harris yeast (18%), am nutrient and 1 large tsp of pectolase.

Est. og of 1.106 est. abv at 0.990 15.23%, as I have to strain the currents before completing the abv will drop below 15% so should be ok, especially after another racking.

Started fermenting, so looks like there isn't any sorbate in the dried cranberries, although can ferment with a little sorbate in just can't get to completion. Anyway looks good so far.

Hmm not tried cranberry 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Racked off the must today, mostly larger peices of cranberry and the currents which still retained their colour after 18 days fermenting. It will be a rose rather than red. Added an additional 120g of sugar to pump up the volume (abv). Smells good, no taste. Still a lot of sediment and material still left in there.

I made some cranberry wine once, just from the concentrate juice. It turned out fab. And was so easy

Racked tonight, lost a litre due to soup like sediment couldn't realy strain, tried but failed. Smells great didn't taste. Topped up with water hopefully the extra 120g of sugar pumped up the abv so it's at least above 10% with the litre loss. Racked onto camden and 1tsp of bentonite added.

Racked this yesterday, still not clear enough, topped up a little with water. The cranberry tastes a little to acidic at the moment, thinking that 2 bags of cranberry migyht be too much, but noticed that I put 1/2 tsp of malic acid in there at the start which is not mentioned and this might be contributing to the extra acidity. Now have to leave longer and hope for dj malo/lactic fermentation to smooth out the acidity and for it to clear.

Bottled this today very clear, but a bit tart to the taste buds at the moment hopefully some malo/latic will occur in the bottle to soften it. In future 1 170g bag should be enough for the cranberry flavour.

Aiming for a red wine, might turn out a light red or rose, lets see.
340g Dried Cranberries - blended - no sorbate used on packets
500g Greek Currents - blended
700g of Sugar
(total sugar 339g currents, 243g cranberries & 700g = 1282g)
No tannin or redbush (cranberries high anti-oxidant), no citric as these ingredients should have enough of each in them. Cooling at moment, then will add Harris yeast (18%), am nutrient and 1 large tsp of
Est. og of 1.106 est. abv at 0.990 15.23%, as I have to strain the currents before completing the abv will drop below 15% so should be ok, especially after another racking.
Hi.
Surprised no grape juice in the recipe - I'm sure even one asda red grape juice would have improved it.
Another observation - have you considered a specific yeast for red fruit wine?
For example:
"Gervin Yeast - No. 2 : Red Label, Full bodied red table Burgundy/Champagne (Monrachet). Vigorous yeast giving a rapid start-to-finish to fermentation. Excellent for all red table wines, it is especially recommended for making wines from autumn fruits such as blackberries, elderberries and sloes. It will ferment at temperatures down to 15° c. Beware of foam."
GOP

Wasn't a red wouldn't even call it rose'. Been trying to use gv4 for dark reds the foaming isn't to bad. What's the abv' tolerance on the gv2 pete.

Back