My first mead.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classman45

Reaction score
Okay I have done a little look around on the net about making mead. I have a 10ltr fermenting bucket with airlock. And four demijohns also with their own airlock.

I am using bottled water.
3lbs of honey.
1 pack of lalvin d47 yeast.

I started it yesterday but whilst look g around found that when the residue (dead yeast cells) fall to the bottom if left can make the mead taste off. And with what I have read i will be fermenting this for about 3-4 weeks. So after two weeks can I siphon to my two demijohns leaving residue behind and finish the last 1-2 weeks 8n them without topping the yeast up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Okay I have done a little look around on the net about making mead. I have a 10ltr fermenting bucket with airlock. And four demijohns also with their own airlock.

I am using bottled water.
3lbs of honey.
1 pack of lalvin d47 yeast.

I started it yesterday but whilst look g around found that when the residue (dead yeast cells) fall to the bottom if left can make the mead taste off. And with what I have read i will be fermenting this for about 3-4 weeks. So after two weeks can I siphon to my two demijohns leaving residue behind and finish the last 1-2 weeks 8n them without topping the yeast up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't worry about leaving it on the lees for a month or more in primary to finish. Some people recommend racking after a week or so, but plenty of people don't and end up with great mead. The only important thing is to rack it before long-term ageing.

Latest posts

Back