Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite beers and I found this recipe while looking around, was on a US Homebrew Forum and the guy didn't post any results yet but a few others said they've brewed something similar.

I've changed it to Metric, anybody see any problems?

18.9L full volume mash
12.1L gallons into fermenter
OG 1.56
FG 1.12

2.72kg American - Pale 2-Row
45g American - White Wheat
195g American - Carapils
56g American - Caramel / Crystal 10L
113g Flaked Wheat
56g Flaked Oats

7g Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 60 min
14g Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 10 min
34g Columbus Pellet 15 Whirlpool at 180 °F - 30 min
119g Mosaic Pellet Dry Hop 5 days
17g Columbus Pellet Dry hop 5 days

Safale 04 yeast

Not sure if any differences in buying ingredients in UK compared to the US?

Looks like a nice recipe though I haven't had the pleasure of tasting any Trillium beers, where did you find them? Iirc Trillium use WLP007 yeast, though if you want to use dry yeast S04 is probably pretty close. Keep us updated on this.

Looks like a nice recipe though I haven't had the pleasure of tasting any Trillium beers, where did you find them? Iirc Trillium use WLP007 yeast, though if you want to use dry yeast S04 is probably pretty close. Keep us updated on this.

Cheers.

Any idea if I can get American 2 row in UK?

I have a friend in New Jersey that gets me the beers and also my wife goes to Boston with work.

I'm not sure if US 2 row is available, however I wouldn't worry too much. Just use your standard pale malt (though probably not MO) or maybe even a British lager malt and I doubt the difference would be too noticeable. I'm jealous of your US suppliers :mrgreen:

Think I need some help with this if anybody can lend a hand.

Finally have time over the next week to brew so I am looking to order some malt. I put this recipe into the brew calculator on this site and it keeps coming up with an IBU of 560, what am I doing wrong?

Also, can anybody recommend a calculator for working out how much water I'll need for 20L into the kettle?

Cheers in advance

Not sure what you're doing wrong, I put your recipe into the calculator and it's telling me 82 IBUS.

For working out water volumes it's easiest to work backwards, so start with your desired kettle volume. You're doing a full volume mash which makes it easy to calculate.

Kettle vol= mash water - grain absorption - dead space

Grain absorption is roughly 1L/kg and if you're doing biab there won't be any dead space so it's easy to work out from there.

If you want to start from FV volume then use the following...

FV vol = kettle vol - boil off (around 10%/h) - kettle dead space

Not sure what you're doing wrong, I put your recipe into the calculator and it's telling me 82 IBUS.

For working out water volumes it's easiest to work backwards, so start with your desired kettle volume. You're doing a full volume mash which makes it easy to calculate.

Kettle vol= mash water - grain absorption - dead space

Grain absorption is roughly 1L/kg and if you're doing biab there won't be any dead space so it's easy to work out from there.

If you want to start from FV volume then use the following...

FV vol = kettle vol - boil off (around 10%/h) - kettle dead space

Thanks for the info. I'll punch the recipe again tonight and see if it has sorted out.

So for volumes, correct me if I'm wrong.

20l into kettle (almost no dead space) for 60 min boil should give me 18l into FV. 3kg of grain would mean 23l in the mash tun for wort?

How do I decide the amount in the tun for the steep and then the amount for the sparge? Does it not matter?

I put this recipe into the brew calculator on this site and it keeps coming up with an IBU of 560, what am I doing wrong?

I did something similar today and my recipe came in at about 800 IBU, knew this wasn't right so a close look revealed that the bittering hops were in ozs and the other hops in grams, changing the bittering to grams sorted it out, hope that helps.......... :thumb:

Ok so start with your recipe and batch size, that is the volume into the FV, then work from there. For example, say your recipe is for 20L and there's 5kg of grain.

To get 20L in the FV you'll need a preboil volume (kettle vol) of about 24L (assuming 1L of kettle trub, 10% boil off and 1L of shrinkage due to cooling).

Mash is usually about 2.5L/kg which in this case is 12.5L of mash water.

Now work out the required sparge volume, which is preboil volume minus mash water plus grain absorption plus mash tun dead space. So in this example:

Sparge vol = 24 - 12.5 + 5 + 1 (assuming 1L of dead space in MT)
So sparge volume required is 17.5L

Therefore...
Mash water - 12.5L
Sparge water - 17.5L
Preboil Vol - 24L
FV vol - 20L

I hope that makes sense, it looks complicated there but it's really not.

Ok so start with your recipe and batch size, that is the volume into the FV, then work from there. For example, say your recipe is for 20L and there's 5kg of grain.

To get 20L in the FV you'll need a preboil volume (kettle vol) of about 24L (assuming 1L of kettle trub, 10% boil off and 1L of shrinkage due to cooling).

Mash is usually about 2.5L/kg which in this case is 12.5L of mash water.

Now work out the required sparge volume, which is preboil volume minus mash water plus grain absorption plus mash tun dead space. So in this example:

Sparge vol = 24 - 12.5 + 5 + 1 (assuming 1L of dead space in MT)
So sparge volume required is 17.5L

Therefore...
Mash water - 12.5L
Sparge water - 17.5L
Preboil Vol - 24L
FV vol - 20L

I hope that makes sense, it looks complicated there but it's really not.

No that's perfect, thanks again.

I did something similar today and my recipe came in at about 800 IBU, knew this wasn't right so a close look revealed that the bittering hops were in ozs and the other hops in grams, changing the bittering to grams sorted it out, hope that helps.......... :thumb:

That was exactly it, cheers :thumb:

Quick question, I ran this recipe through the recipe builder on this site and it was only 4.4% if I wanted to fill my kettle for boil which is a little weak for my liking. I upped the grain volume while keeping the % ratio of each grain the same as the original recipe to get 5.3% and the OG and FG stayed roughly the same.

Do I need to up the hop volumes too or should they be fine? New volumes below.

Boil Size: 19L
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.012

3.3kg American - Marris Otter
55g American - Wheat Malt
235g American - Carapils
70g American - Crystal 10L
135g Flaked Wheat
70g Flaked Oats

7g Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 60 min
14g Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 10 min
34g Columbus Pellet 15 Whirlpool at 180 °F - 30 min