Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't owned a road bike for years and my thoughts have been turning to get another, Mrs Tea is dead against it but i know i could persuade here given time then i see this and think there are way too many impatient car drivers on the roads there days and i bet i wouldn't bounce and get up unscathed like i used to. :lol:

Lancs Road Police‏Verified account @LancsRoadPolice 10m10 minutes ago
More
A59 Rufford-rider lost control after overtake prior to left bend. Could easily have been a fatality - luckily just arm & hand injury #think

DBfMO3ZW0AAzUSA.jpg

The rider was lucky this time, but riding a bike means you get lucky or get dead

But again today is Sunday and you know the stories,power rangers etc.
I know my environment is quite busy but at the end of the day if you're willing to put yourself in that predicament the variables multiply.
It's down to the rider as much as other road users who need educated but if we all fear this will happen nobody would be riding.
My missus loves riding pillion but at one stage she hadn't been pillion for nearly 10 years and prior to that had been known to fall asleep behind me but this was because children had come into the equation and she always had a dreadful fear.Now she's over it well not totally but enough to get her back out and go for a run.
Go for it Chippy and enjoy life as we only get one chance.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Go for it Chippy and enjoy life as we only get one chance.

I am at the very early stages i don't even know for sure what type of bike i want, i was quite into my trail bikes in my youth so would probably go for one again, Mrs Tea wouldn't get on the back if i paid her so two up riding doesn't need to be taken into consideration.

I am at the very early stages i don't even know for sure what type of bike i want, i was quite into my trail bikes in my youth so would probably go for one again, Mrs Tea wouldn't get on the back if i paid her so two up riding doesn't need to be taken into consideration.
Well noted the time to start looking about as the longer you leave it the chances are it'll never happen.
Also we don't get any younger so that also has to be considered...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

The rider was lucky this time, but riding a bike means you get lucky or get dead

I've gotten away with it for 36 years! 52 years old now and can't get bikes out of my blood. My ancient but beloved FJ1200 has been poorly of late - smoking on a morning due to aged valve guide seals. Whipped the cylinder head off yesterday, replaced em all, 11hours straight. All good with my world again. Here's the motor on the dining table lol, the missus could not give a hoot.
Anyway go for it Chippy. Don't be thinking 'if only' when it's too late.

I haven't owned a road bike for years and my thoughts have been turning to get another, Mrs Tea is dead against it but i know i could persuade here given time then i see this and think there are way too many impatient car drivers on the roads there days and i bet i wouldn't bounce and get up unscathed like i used to. :lol:

I know that stretch of the A59 well having grown up only a couple of miles away. You get a lot of accidents there as it's a long, straight and wide section with regular slow moving farm machinery / horses / cyclists. I watched one of my mates flip his dad's car doing a ton or so down there when we were teenagers. I still can't figure out how the five of them in the car got out with barely more than bruises.

Riding a motorcycle is not that simple.
There is a risk to everything we do in life, even down to making a cup of tea.
When I go out on my bike I accept that there is a greater risk than when I am driving my car and 'ride safe', that means not doing stupid things and constantly looking out for others who are which may affect me. That doesn't mean I'm impregnable, just less likely to have an off.
I was out on my bike this morning and was overtaken in a 40 limit by six blokes on big sports bikes probably doing nearly 60 through the twisties. Hopefully they all got home in one piece like me.
And to Chippy, go out and get a bike. Perhaps do what I did 15 years ago after a gap of many years i.e don't spend a fortune, see if you like it again, then if you do go for an upgrade as you see fit. What you will also find is that you become a better safer driver because some of your biking habits move over to four wheels. :thumb:.

But again today is Sunday and you know the stories,power rangers etc.

I truly despise these people. Call themselves bikers pah. Hooning up and down on the lastest crotch rocket in their ridiculous dayglo leathers/ knee-sliders etc with the name of some racer type / sponsor emblazened all over them. All they're bothered about is their reflection in shop windows / impressing children / and talking utter ****e with their like-minded buddies at the nearest bike emporium. Not only are they unable to ride the bikes properly, they don't know how they work let alone fix em. Was in the bike shop for parts not long back when this cretin walks in, in full tosspot regalia pleading for them to book his bike in ( a GR6FZZRCBRR1DX or summat) to change the goddamn air filter. "Yes sir that'll be 60 quid"). I didn't know where to look.

Having owned a couple of bikes and falling victim to a car driver who just didn't see me i'm in 2 minds as to weather i'l ride again. I spent 8 weeks in hospital, nearly lost my right foot. I only had a 125cc so it was no crotch rocket. I think as the home brewing type, I and many others here are or would be safe bikers who ride defensibly, however its gotta be said, some bikers are absolute ****.
You dont need to drive far from where I live and I could point out many fatal accident spots, all bikes and all because the temptation to get the knee down was too much. For me i'd say never say never, I currently drive a BMW, my next purchase may be another BMW ...if you get my jist

How about buying my roadster chippy? All the thrills of a bike but difficult to fall off lol. You even get to wear a helmet

That's amazing, I did a lotus-7 type trackday at Teeside Autodrome (a big go kart track) as they invited our lotus club and allowed Elise's on.

I've had off road bikes, on road (Harley Sportster) and I've almost bought another Sportster (883 Iron) but I don;t think I'll ever ride on the roads again and will go off road again.

I was supposed to be on The Isle of Man as we speak with the Mrs Dad, but the only way around the Island with him was as Pillion, and i hate riding on the back so I didn't go. (he has a Blackbird)

Best thing I did, getting my bike licence. Life's too short to worry about what could go wrong.

Absolutely! We all gonna go sometime and the 'call' may well come from the least expected quadrant. My mate 10 years younger than me had a heart attack about 3 months back....

Riding since I was sixteen now 31 years and have had two accidents and both caused by impatient car drivers and I was only doing 30 mph.One thing it did teach was too pay attention and it does actually give you a foresight to what may happen when your on the road cause you're always on the lookout for potential threats from sideroads,manhole covers,white lines and careless drivers regardless of what vehicle they are using.
I have seen many stupid fools pulling stunts and thinking they were great until it was too late.Take care on the road and keep your eyes on path but your brain should always be two steps ahead.

Get a side car for her like Olive from on the buses :lol:

Back