Poochops GF brew No 3 - brewdog Jet Black Heart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just over 3 weeks in the bottle what can I say? Wow! Outrageously good this, very happy with it indeed :) when I used to read that AG brewing produced beer much better than kits I used to think, well yeah that makes sense but my kit brews are pretty damned good, the thing is though that so far every single one of my AG brews has blown any kit I've made out of the water and this is no exception. Deep, rich chocolate, burnt toast, hints of coffee and loads of dark berry flavours, beautiful silken mouthfeel, it's turned out just lovely.
I know the recipe calls for 6.8 grams of sorachi but I'm going to call this out. I had a pint of the real thing last week in Liverpool and the main thing I noticed is the berry fruit flavour in the original really really pops, so on the basis I used 40 grams, next time I brew it I'm going to do a flameout of 20grams as well, so 60g in total. I reckon the brewdog recipe is a typo :lol:

IMG_0324.jpg

Looks awesome and very similar to mine, down to the head (or should that be up?). If I re-brew this i'll follow you're idea with the hops, I went by the book and adjusted to give 36 IBUs since, as you found, there's 3 figures quoted by brewdog in various places.

I had a taste of the commercial version again recently and I picked up a much strong flavour I thought of as liquorice, but it could be a berry/hop flavour. Sorcahi Ace needs some playing with I think. Berry flavours could go very well in an old ale or barleywine, maybe even just a dark mild?

Back