Rye AIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Just bottled up a 6 litre partial mash batch into various sized bottles(16 in all) of a slightly under strength Rye AIPA at 5.%,done with challenger,amarillo and citra hops with a 5 day dry hop of amarillo and citra, might even term it as an APA really,but who's counting:lol:. Turned out a nice mid golden colour and pretty clear as well:smile:

Just bottled up a 6 litre partial mash batch into various sized bottles(16 in all) of a slightly under strength Rye AIPA at 5.%,done with challenger,amarillo and citra hops with a 5 day dry hop of amarillo and citra, might even term it as an APA really,but who's counting:lol:. Turned out a nice mid golden colour and pretty clear as well:smile:

What % of Rye have you used in the grist?Curious.

What % of Rye have you used in the grist?Curious.
Gerryjo
been a tad cautious:lol:. I did a ghost ship type brew with 5% rye.This is 17% rye,plus the liquid malt from h and b can contain traces of it as well..I know you can bung a whole lot more in than that,but never used it before sooooo
experimenting:smile:

I take it you mean 5%abv with 17% of rye in the equivalent grain bill which seems to be the upper limit for a rye due to the spicy notes this grain has.
What yeast are you using as the Shipyard Rye Pale Ale clone has Belgian and my lucky 7 brew.
I've redesigned the shipyard recipe as I had added too much chocolate malt and too have itinerary BJCP guidelines it needs to be between 5 to 5.5% with just 50 IBU'S.

Gerry

I take it you mean 5%abv with 17% of rye in the equivalent grain bill which seems to be the upper limit for a rye due to the spicy notes this grain has.
What yeast are you using as the Shipyard Rye Pale Ale clone has Belgian and my lucky 7 brew.
I've redesigned the shipyard recipe as I had added too much chocolate malt and too have itinerary BJCP guidelines it needs to be between 5 to 5.5% with just 50 IBU'S.

Gerry
:nono: No i did a ghost ship type brew with 5% rye added to the mix and the brew i have just bottled has 17% Rye in the mix. I understand that you can add a fair amount more than that into the mix. Will see how this one turns out before venturing to up the % of Rye in another brew. Want to do a Black Rye IPA at some point:smile:
In the ghost ship brew( only very loosely based on it) i used Gervin and in this brew i used CML US Pale. Out of interest where did you pick up the 'Shipyard' recipe please

:nono: No i did a ghost ship type brew with 5% rye added to the mix and the brew i have just bottled has 17% Rye in the mix. I understand that you can add a fair amount more than that into the mix. Will see how this one turns out before venturing to up the % of Rye in another brew. Want to do a Black Rye IPA at some point[emoji2]
In the ghost ship brew( only very loosely based on it) i used Gervin and in this brew i used CML US Pale. Out of interest where did you pick up the 'Shipyard' recipe please
Had too put the recipe together after emailing marstons and got a reply from Alex with grains,hops and PH though no quantities.
Haven't tried the second one yet as I've just finished adjusting it last week and awaiting delivery of the grains to give it a go through maybe a few weeks away as I currently have three in secondary needing bottled and three in primary which are due for secondary transfer next week.

Gerry

Had too put the recipe together after emailing marstons and got a reply from Alex with grains,hops and PH though no quantities.
Haven't tried the second one yet as I've just finished adjusting it last week and awaiting delivery of the grains to give it a go through maybe a few weeks away as I currently have three in secondary needing bottled and three in primary which are due for secondary transfer next week.

Gerry
That is decent of them:thumb:.I did have a go at doing something along the lines of their EPA,nothing concrete to go on however. Think i over did the Cascade dry hop:lol:,it's pretty damn grapefruity otherwise it's not a bad effort if i do say so myself.
Wouldn't mind knowing what the make up of the 'ordinary' Shipyard is.

That is decent of them:thumb:.I did have a go at doing something along the lines of their EPA,nothing concrete to go on however. Think i over did the Cascade dry hop:lol:,it's pretty damn grapefruity otherwise it's not a bad effort if i do say so myself.
Wouldn't mind knowing what the make up of the 'ordinary' Shipyard is.

Here's all the info I've received.Now have a crack and PM your recipe for comparison as I want to brew mine before putting it out there.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69409

Here's all the info I've received.Now have a crack and PM your recipe for comparison as I want to brew mine before putting it out there.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69409
Ok ta. Don't have all those hops. Have an awful lot of other hops to get through before i start ordering any more,however i shall bookmark the recipe.Also i have been using Rye malt so will need to get some Rye crystal.Thanks

Ok ta. Don't have all those hops. Have an awful lot of other hops to get through before i start ordering any more,however i shall bookmark the recipe.Also i have been using Rye malt so will need to get some Rye crystal.Thanks

You can try sustituing the hops for those you have and maybe come up with something else to your liking.

Latest posts

Back