coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
I was just noticing that Coopers makes a Stout, and an Australian Stout. Anyone able to describe any inherent differences between them? Odd I hadnt noticed that they had two different products.

Dave

They've dropped the Australian bit off the new can designs.
It's just Stout now. Then there's Irish Stout.
Googling what the difference is doesn't really come up with much. The best explanation I could find would be this https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/8897/

I make the original.
1 can stout
1 can dark ale
200 grams choc malt steeped for 45 mins and boiled for 10 mins.
500 grams or so of dextrose.
both kit yeasts

I nearly always have one of these brewing. I give a fair bit of it away.
I walked into work on Friday and one of the first things said to me was.
"That choc malt stout bloody beautiful".

I made the original with a can of the dark ale..some DME and a bit of molasses....it was very good and didnt last long. Waiting to bottle the "toucan" dark ale so I can put another Stout on. I would say stout is about my favourite drink

Did this one earlier this year. I'm not really a Stout drinker but thought I would try it for the coming winter.

COOPERS STOUT WITH AG
Started 19th March 2017
Fermented in Trug.
Coopers Stout Kit.
1.60Kg of Maris Otter
0.20Kg of Chocolate
15g of Perle Hop Leaf boiled for 60 mins.
Wilco Ale Yeast + Coopers Yeast pitched at 20 degrees.
Overflowed Bubble Tube bottle 20th March!
Bottled with 75g of sugar on 2nd April 2017
Carbonating on shelf.
OG 1.047
FG 1.011
ABV 4.73%
Kcal per litre = 453Kcal
Tasted 18th June 2017 and very nice for a Stout.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Blow Off.jpg

I made the original with a can of the dark ale..some DME and a bit of molasses....it was very good and didnt last long. Waiting to bottle the "toucan" dark ale so I can put another Stout on. I would say stout is about my favourite drink

I read somewhere (Coopers forum perhaps) that too much molasses gives a rusty taste, or maybe a metallic taste.

I was in a homebrew store the other day and the bloke was going on about a wonderful stout. I thought about it, and decided I just can't change my recipe.

However I did pick up two stout kits for $5 each yesterday (about 3 quid). So maybe time to experiment.

$5.00ea!!!!! Wow. These kits cost me $15.00 my dollars 7.5 ish quid... Wish I could get them anywhere near that. Oh and I only use about 250 ml of the molasses per 40 pints. I read the same thing about it possibly being a bit much. Looking forward to adding a bit of coffee to the next one as some others have said it adds to the overall taste.

$5.00ea!!!!! Wow. These kits cost me $15.00 my dollars 7.5 ish quid... Wish I could get them anywhere near that. Oh and I only use about 250 ml of the molasses per 40 pints. I read the same thing about it possibly being a bit much. Looking forward to adding a bit of coffee to the next one as some others have said it adds to the overall taste.

They are Morgans brand. An Aussie company part owned by Coopers.
Usually priced at $17 I think. He said he was going to check the rest of his stock, but he told me there were half a dozen Pilsners to go for $5 of which he was going to put 2 aside for me.

Latest posts

Back