Yeast rinsing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I bottled an amber ale last Sunday and rinsed the yeast (for the first time). I now have 3 mason jars in the fridge with a thin layer of yeast at the bottom of each.

However, the yeast layers are very thin. A teaspoon at the most. I was expecting a fair bit more. I could combine all three and get a tablespoon or so. And use a starter too.

Does anyone else have experience of harvesting yeast and how much to expect? I'm away just now so can't post pictures. Will do when I get home.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I bottled an amber ale last Sunday and rinsed the yeast (for the first time). I now have 3 mason jars in the fridge with a thin layer of yeast at the bottom of each.

However, the yeast layers are very thin. A teaspoon at the most. I was expecting a fair bit more. I could combine all three and get a tablespoon or so. And use a starter too.

Does anyone else have experience of harvesting yeast and how much to expect? I'm away just now so can't post pictures. Will do when I get home.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Going by what you have now, if I were you I would keep the 3 jars separate and treat them as starters before using the yeast again, just use them to grow a decent yeast count before pitching

Back