Airlock lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_beer

Reaction score
First time using an airlock. It had a red plastic cap on it, with no small hole. Am I supposed to keep lid on it when fermentation it. It seems quite a loose fit so guess the gas can esacape?

I think I have six air locks and I know where two or possibly three of the little red caps are

First time using an airlock. It had a red plastic cap on it, with no small hole. Am I supposed to keep lid on it when fermentation it. It seems quite a loose fit so guess the gas can esacape?

You remove the little red cap so that you can put some liquid (I use a 95:5 mix of water and Tesco Thin Bleach) into the "U" of the airlock.

After part filling the airlock the red cap is replaced to prevent flies and such committing suicide in the airlock.

The airlock itself is then fitted into:

o A drilled bung that is in turn driven into the FV or

o Directly into a grommet in the lid of the FV or cap.

Personally, I use a Bubble Tube as shown in the photograph, just in case the wort decides to go mental and climb out of the FV.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Bubble Tube.jpg

Bleach in an airlock, no thanks, have you ever googled what bleach does to people if it gets into them...if you move your FV for egs, the fluid will get sucked into the beer, doesn't take much...why not just use Starsan or like me, Vodka!

and yes the little red cap is meant to be on, keeps dust and bugs out...

Bleach in an airlock, no thanks, have you ever googled what bleach does to people if it gets into them...if you move your FV for egs, the fluid will get sucked into the beer, doesn't take much...why not just use Starsan or like me, Vodka!

The chemical name for "bleach" is Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO), it is produced on ships and offshore platforms by electrolysis with seawater where ...

NaCL + H2O >>> electrolysis >>> NaClO + 2H​

It is the World Health Authorities "go to" chemical for sterilising water all over the world so I suggest that you read this ...

http://www.tpomag.com/editorial/2013/12/understanding_sodium_hypochlorite_wso

... and realise that the next time you take a ferry, all of the water on the ship will have been sterilised with the bleach that you are so keen to avoid! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back