Best Quick wine recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee1901

Reaction score
Hi

I've got 3 gallons of Elderflower and 1 gallon of redcurrant on the go but would really like something that I can drink sooner rather than later. I'm sure that after the first 6/12 months of wine making I'll have a constant supply but I'd like something that I can drink soon.

What are your favourite recipes??

Many thanks. :cheers:xx

A Wow would be ready to drink in under 3 weeks, just make up one that you like the sound of, a basic Rose of 2-3 litres of red grape juice is perfectly fine, one i like is Asda's 2litres of raspberry and apple juice and 1litre RGJ.

Rice wine is one of the easiest and quickest to make, I no longer have the recipe but I remember it was basicly just rice and raisins. Should be easy to Google.

Could I ask why some WOWs add glycerine and some don't? x

It is added to give some mouthfeel, you can leave it out if you want, the same as tea is used to add tannin again there is no need to add it either if you don't want to.

It is added to give some mouthfeel, you can leave it out if you want, the same as tea is used to add tannin again there is no need to add it either if you don't want to.

I agree about the Glycerine and i havent used it for many months i disagree bout the Tannin.

TANNIN:
Tannin is the naturally occurring astringency found in grape skins, often described as a “sandpaper” feel in your mouth. Tannin is primarily found in red wines, since they usually ferment with the skins. Whites contain a lot less tannin than reds, since they’re often crushed and pressed the same day. Nearly all kit wines are low in tannin, again for a faster maturing process, so many red wines can be improved by adding some tannin to the fermenter.

I would add powdered tannin at the rate of roughly 1 teaspoon of tannin per 5 gallons. Add the tannin to 2 cups of boiling water to dissolve, and then add about 1/2 cup of the tannin water at a time, gently mixing it into the wine, tasting the wine after each addition, and stopping when the tannin level is about what you want. Tannin flavors do decrease with time, so this addition can be a bit tricky.
https://winemakermag.com/38-adjust-flavor-in-the-fermenter-techniques

I add so little now in the way of tea that it's probably not worth bothering with, none in a White and maybe 1 bag in a Rose.

Thanks everyone. One thing I'm learning is that wine making is very subjective and there's no absolute perfect recipe as everyone's tastes differ. My Elderflower wine recipe had a cup of tea in the recipe which I followed to the letter.

Back to original post ... I've bought 2 litres of RGJ, 2 Litres of Raspberry, Apple and Cranberry and 1 litre of Summer Fruits from Asda. It's only a local one so didn't have as much choice but I'm just about to make one lot of R/A/C and one of R/A/C and Summer Fruit (1.5 litres of fruit juice to 1 litre RGJ). Bought 3 litres as it's on 3 for £3 offer at Asda lol.

Thanks for you help and advice. :thumb: x

Bugger ... just seen that I've bought R/A/C and Summer Fruits Juice DRINK ... plonker. Can I use it with the RGJ? Thought perhaps I could add a litre of the R/A/C juice drink and a litre of the Summer Fruits juice drink (which is 93% Apple Juice) with the RGJ? Any thoughts? Excuse me while I go and kick myself ... :doh::mad: x

Should be fine. For a 1 gallon WOW if it's 100% juice I'm using then I tend to use 2L of it e.g. 1L grape, 1L apple.

With anything labelled as a juice drink I use 2L of it as it's more dilute along with 1L of something that's 100% juice for example I did a blueberry WOW that was 1L of red grape juice + 2L blueberry juice drink.

Only thing to check is that the "drinks" don't have any preservatives in them as this can stop the yeast working. Look for any of these on the label:

Benzoates (E210-E213)
Sorbates (E200-E203)
Suphites (E220-228)
Dimethyldicarbonate (E242)

They can be removed from the juice by gently boiling it for a few minutes.

Whew ... I decided to make it anyway but decided to reduce the sugar to 700g with putting the extra juice in and didn't want it too sweet (seemed to make sense at the time to this novice) however I might add the extra sugar now. Didn't check for preservatives but I've just looked and there are none listed. Good job as I've just moved house and don't have a working hob yet lol. Wine making is a great excuse not to pick up a paint brush ...

Thanks for your reply Graz. Much appreciated. :thumb::clap:

Latest posts

Back