The Trub/Cube Exbeeriment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwizard

Regular.
Reaction score
So today i bottled an AIPA and then chucked in a 10L batch of Sierra Nevada I had sitting in a cube for the last week, onto the trub and.....within 2 hours its off like a rocket. Cannot hardly believe it. maybe its the way forward

I've only done one pitch onto an existing yeast cake/harvested trub and that kicked off nicely too. I think there may be limitations on the amount of times but a lot of breweries have used their strain of yeast for years and crop some every brew....I think!

I've only done one pitch onto an existing yeast cake/harvested trub and that kicked off nicely too. I think there may be limitations on the amount of times but a lot of breweries have used their strain of yeast for years and crop some every brew....I think!

Thanks Clint. I may do it one more time with this lot then chuck it.

Although it does work, when you chuck new wort onto an old yeast cake it doesnt really got through the process of growning new cells. The yeast get straight on with fermenting the wort. So the cells doing the work are tired, knackered and old (kind of like Dutto :lol:) so you're more likely to get off flavours doing this

I think Graigtube was experimenting and got up to 14 batches. Personally i dont do this often as i dry hop and cant be bothered to do secondary. Saying that when i did use it had no effect on the taste so probably not anything to worry about.

Although it does work, when you chuck new wort onto an old yeast cake it doesnt really got through the process of growning new cells. The yeast get straight on with fermenting the wort. So the cells doing the work are tired, knackered and old (kind of like Dutto :lol:) so you're more likely to get off flavours doing this

Heres a very interesting interview I have listened too and I think it's been posted before.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRTsWF4iAc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRTsWF4iAc[/ame]

Went to a brew day at a brewery and they use there yeast for 10 generations, trick is to not over pitch I.e. Don't use the whole yeast cake. I'll be experimenting with it now I have a conical :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to a brew day at a brewery and they use there yeast for 10 generations, trick is to not over pitch I.e. Don't use the whole yeast cake. I'll be experimenting with it now I have a conical :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy days as IMO that's what it's all about.Have you ever walked a field without a path and came back a month later to see how many other paths there are which is very few as most people stick to what they have been taught to do and rarely do any venture outside of this boundary in fear of what![emoji12]

Gerry

Now you got me worried

I used to do this on occasion - first time the beer will be just as good as the first brew. If you do it a second time the beer will still be drinkable but noticably not as good as the first brew.
These days I use a few table spoons of the yeast cake in the next brew. This works fine. You can also bottle the whole yeast cake in a sanitised bottle and just use a bit for subsequent brews. You could get a hell of a lot of brews from a single packet of yeast this way.

Also if you use the entire yeast cake you are more than likley over pitching even if a little bit, might not be too problematic in certain cases but at least for some yeast types you will not want to do this as the ester production is part of the flavour profile.

Isn't it also the case that it is in fact better to harvest the kraüsen if you want to re-pitch yeast?

As Cwrw666 says, if you just do it the once most times you'll their wont be a problem, it's when your repeatedly do it from brew to brew you'll be courting disaster

I think I will ditch it after this present brew, after your advice

What you can do, is take a portion of it and put it in a starter. This grows new cell and 'revives' it. You can do this several times.

Thought about that and even got the jars but then had second thoughts, since Im really worried about getting an infection of some kind, and yeast is pretty cheap. well the stuff I use is!

Thought about that and even got the jars but then had second thoughts, since Im really worried about getting an infection of some kind, and yeast is pretty cheap. well the stuff I use is!

You'd be surprised how hard actually getting an infection is, because beer has so many elements that are just so hostile to microbes. Low PH, anti-bacterial properties of hops, brewers yeast being so well adapted to wort it out competes 'infecting' microbes for food and oxygen, etc. Sure it happens but people worry far too much about getting infections in their beer

Back