Time to visit my lhbs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichK

Regular.
Reaction score
Have started this malarkey after my son bought me a Wilko kit for Christmas. Despite the first attempt being hopeless (but drinkable) the second was good enough to tempt me into buying the small amount of kit needed for simple kit brewing. Tasted good but was too flat (so, not enough priming). Third batch is now waiting to be drunk (another week at least).

I've now found there's a lhbs just a couple of miles from home & I think it's time to venture in hopefully with a view to be being a (semi) regular customer.

Only thing is, I don't know what to expect. I don't even really know what I want, other than it's a "beer kit."

Any offers on what I can expect to encounter? I'm certain it will be a small one man show (there's no webpage for example).

Take a look thru the beer kit reviews thread to get an idea of what you might want to try and how the kit fares with regard to stuck fermentation, also what folk are adding to kits to "improve" them. I found the Youngs American kits to be good and most reviews on them are of a similar opinion.

Do take a good look round the shop and see what he does stock as you never know when you need to pop back to pickup something you forgot and if the dark art of all grain is something you see in your future take a look at the shinies and get an idea of the pricing.

Your Local Shop should offer friendly service and good advice (for all levels of brewer).

Oh and of course a decent stock/range of equipment and kits.

I'd go in and have a chat, tell them your brewing story to date and see how you find them and their product range/pricing, maybe pick up something you need (a kit or some brewing sugar or a fermenting bucket or whatever) on your first visit to scope them out.

I would love a local HBS, very handy if you need a pack of yeast or whatever in a hurry on brewday !

Tell them the type of drink you prefer, they should be able to recommend which kit to suggest

Latest posts

Back