Fermentation Bin Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastLord

Reaction score
I have a standard 5l Youngs fermenting bin and its soon to host a Woodfords barley wine.

Would it be good to make a hole in the lid to fit a bung and airlock? The lid is as I bought it and hole free right now.

If so any advice on the best way to do it would be appreciated.

All the best!
Stu

Some members drill a hole and fit a grommet for the airlock http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airlock-G...626166&hash=item4b177bb14b:g:xlAAAOSw7NNUFcsE

s-l225.jpg

Some snap the lid on but leave a section for the CO2 to escape and some lay the lid on without snapping it shut, all methods work but if seeing airlock activity is important to you the first is the way to go.

Most of mine have a hole that size with a grommet but I don't use an airlock, just stuff a bit of kitchen roll in to stop things falling [or crawling] in. It's a useful sized hole, you can stick a thermometer in for example without having to take the lid off. I leave my 12" Inkbird probe dangling in there.

Most of mine have a hole that size with a grommet but I don't use an airlock, just stuff a bit of kitchen roll in to stop things falling [or crawling] in. It's a useful sized hole, you can stick a thermometer in for example without having to take the lid off. I leave my 12" Inkbird probe dangling in there.

Now that must be handy. I'm looking at a temp probe thingy on Amazon as well. Thanks for the reply :)

Latest posts

Back