my Keg has a leak!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just noticed that my keg has got a tiny leak near the tap!!!!! Help!! i have another empty keg, the beer in the keg thats leaking hasn't cleared yet can i siphon this into the other one????

Do you have plastic pressure barrel or corny keg.
If it's a plastic PV then, as long as you have some head space, tip it on it's back and carry out tap repairs as required.

One thing to check is that the tap thread is not split. The photo below shows one that I removed from my PB half way through conditioning. It started leaking as the pressure built up.

DSCF4858.jpg

Took a while to spot this as it was covered by the washer

Thanks yeah thats whats happened to mine as pressure was building slight leak appeared, i seemed to have botched it up with some hardcore plumbers tape which seems to have worked for time being….but I'm keeping a close eye!

Just had exactly the same with my keg full of Wherry. Plugged for now, off to wilkos in the morning for a new tap. I think may be down to over tightening the tap. Hopefully I won't lose the lot. Is there a stronger tap available for the Wilko kegs?

Same issue again a broken tap, cracked by the threads. Possibly a combination of over tightening the tap and cheap quality. Now sorted with a replacement, but I don't have much faith. Is there a good quality tap out there?

I have move the 30+ pints of Wherry and keg to a warmer room, to see if the pressure will come back, still in the conditioning stage so hopefully I won't lose it.

Thanks, looks very similar to the replacement. Appears like you say not much choice out there. All the plastic kegs seem to have been built with a mixture of inferior parts, its hit or miss if you get a good one.

If its seepage more than a leak, just draw a glass off to relieve the pressure and you'll be fine. These plastic kegs are a bit hit an miss I'm afraid. I always bottle about 6 or 7 litres as insusrance and keg the rest. I find that using two 'O' rings in the cap works better as well. I think the only sure way to go (if there is one!) is the corny route. But I'm not that bothered (or well-doshed).
cheers
Ian

I've just kegged a golden ale in a new Wilko PB and spotted a leak from the tap once I'd got it all in. I knew what the culprit was - when I was cleaning the bits before kegging I took the barrel out of the main body of the tap. It has two small 'o' rings which sit in grooves but when I was putting it back together I couldn't get the little blighters to stay in their grooves.

Thought I'd give it a go but once I knew it was leaking I laid the PB on it's back and got a new tap from my LHBS. Simple swap and no more leaks!

Or so I thought....thought it would be a good idea to put some extra gas in as it had been sitting for a couple of days with a slow leak so the pressure wasn't too great. Squirted in some CO2 and when I tried to unscrew the canister the whole valve came out. Not a problem I thought, I'll just screw it back in.

No, it seems that part of the thread on the underside of the lid came off when I put the gas in and has dropped into the PB. At this point I was getting a little annoyed with rubbish Wilko equipment and worried about contaminating the brew any further so just put a bog standard lid on and left it alone.

Anyway, the tap from the LHBS was a much simpler design and seems to be much more robust. Only cost about £3 so if you're worried I would get a new one and swap it for your next brew.

Latest posts

Back