Celebration Ale-5 Marathons in 5 Days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to homebrewing and have recently started brewing an IPA (originally a Festival Ale kit with some extra hops) to commemorate a charity effort I'm undertaking in Easter where I run 5 marathons in 5 days for Cardiac Risk in the Young.

The beer is being called 'Jog On' and I'll be letting people have a bottle of it for a £2 donation to the charity. If you're local to Petersfield it will be in the Petersfield General Wine shop run by Steve and Andy--two top blokes who have a cracking range of local ales in their shop and are pillars of the community.

Also, if you fancy joining me post marathon(s) for a pint I'll be finishing in the following pubs:

16th April: The St James' Tavern, Winchester
17th: The Black Boy, Winchester
18th: The Eclipse Inn, Winchester
19th: The Wykeham Arms, Winchester
20th: The Square Brewery (am) finishing in The Bishop on the Bridge, Winchester

http://www.justgiving.com/5in5jr

My page is here and you can follow me on twitter @5in5jr

Cheers!

:drink:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your forthcoming endeavours :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is some undertaking to do. :hat: :hat:

While I love the idea... I would caution you regarding the HMRC. Apparently, regardless of whether it's for charity or not, you are selling alcohol and therefore need a license. They aren't stupid either, but you are more likely to get away with giving free beer, but providing a means for people to donate.

The government work in strange ways, legally. Recently my paragliding club considered using a tandem glider during a charity event, the aim being from someone to get sponsorship to take a flight. However, the only people legally allowed to do this were "Air experience" instructors. Even thought it was to charity and even if we tried to decouple the sponsorship from the flight, the informally translated response from the CAA was "We're not stupid, if any money is attached to a flight, it is a commercial flight, period.". We could fly individually and even say we were being sponsored, but nobody could take a passenger.

Grumpy old scrooges, but does it surprise you?

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. My friend will now be 'giving away' some bottles but recommending a donation that goes straight to the charity.

Exactly 4 weeks to go; I need to not drink any beer really between now and then but I'm a die-hard London Irish fan and we've got our St. Pat's Party against Bath this weekend!

Joe

Good luck on the fund-raising :thumb:

Five marathons in five days is a big ask, unless you are properly prepared, and I have no idea how anyone could be. You want to seriously consider walking when no-one with a TV camera is looking. If you go too fast (even running / jogging all the way might be too fast) it is going to be a long two days on 4 and 5.

I think Bruce Tulloh ran across North America, running a marathon or so every day, back before running became fashionable in about 1972 (Frank Shorter, Munich Olympic Marathon). Tulloh was a class act on the track, though.

Joeyriles said:
Cheers, I always have a policy of walking when I think I'm about to keel over.

Did 4 in 4 last summer in the heatwave so this will hopefully feel a bit more merciful!

Joe
Ahh, so you know what you're doing.
And still doing it :thumb:

Good luck with the weather.
:cheers:

I've got just under three weeks to go and the 'not drinking as much beer' part is just about to start... :cry:
Obviously this simply wasn't cricket so I asked my nutritionist and she said:

"A pint of 4/5% bitter is a great source of natural sugars and carbs. Just don't go crazy."

:drink:

In all seriousness if anyone fancies a beer and cheering me on then please get in touch and meet me in one of Winchester's many stunning watering holes.

April 16th: St. James' Tavern
17th: The Black Boy
18th: The Eclipse Inn
19th: The Wykeham Arms
20th: The Bishop on the Bridge

Back