BYO magazine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyc

Reaction score
Is this magazine worth getting or is it just full of stuff we can't get over here only in America.

I find their website articles very informative, so I reckon it might be worth a punt. We desperately need to catch up; look at the range of equipment you can get in the US!

They have digital mag version for $5 bi monthly has to be worth a punt. They seem to be way more scientific in the approach

Over the last few weeks I've been listening to the basic brewing podcasts that are 'in association' with BYO magazine, dating back to 2005. There is a ton of useful information in these podcasts but there is also a bunch of ****.

So you need to sift the info presented for what is 'real', there is far more good info than the odd myth though, so overall a thumbs up :thumb:

I learned pretty much everything I know about brewing from listening to Basic Brewing Radio. I've been a fan for years.

I used to subscribe to BYO and now download the digital edition on the iPad. I do miss the paper copies but it's much cheaper to go digital.
It's a great mag but certainly not aimed at the novice brewer. More intermediate to semi-pro brewer I would say.

Also look at this new site - http://beerandwinejournal.com/ - it is set up by the guy that edited BYO along with James Spencer from Basic Brewing Radio.
Lots of good content and articles and it is free.

thank you I've enjoyed reading the beer and wine journal.... :thumb:

There are masses of articles on the BYO website, I have read a fair few! And loads of tried and tested recipes. Does the magazine have a lot of articles that don't appear on the website? There is so much good stuff on the web there's no absolute need to buy a publication I think, but can be nice to get a regular read of course.

Another Vote for Basic brewing Radio Podcasts and beer and wine journal. (also lots of video podcasts)

http://www.basicbrewing.com/

- I've listened to hours of them - even if the topics aren't always at first what I might think is interesting or useful I quite often learn new stuff and the presenter is great (James Spencer)

I subscribed to BYO for a year and loved it - really good magazine - will make you wish you could get all that US stuff though...! Prob only recommend if you like brewing things other than english ales (although these get a mention). Lots of really good quite advanced info.

Also brewing network with Jamil Zanisheff (sp?!) is pretty good although i don't like the style as much as the Basic brewing radio.

Back