Sainsburys Kilner Lager ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there was me thinking I knew what I was going to brew next (cooper's stout). This sounds like a bit of a bargain - think I'll pick one up on my way home. Obviously there's no telling if it's any good, though.

I was tempted as half priced seemed great, but I already have coopers and wherry on the go.

My local one started in the last week or so, never had before!

Well, I went out on Saturday and bought it. It is currently £12.50, so hopefully a bit of a bargain. Oddly it had been taken off the shelves, even though the guy who went and got it from the back for me said it had been "very popular".

Once I've collected enough bottles, I'll put this on and get a review going.

Brewed this on Thur night at 10pm,first airlock bubble.(yes i was there when it hapened !)
Was on Friday at 5pm and been going like crazy since. The most yeast i have ever put in
a brew ? And the first kit i have done in 9 months of brewing that smells of eggs ?
Hopefully this is something normal.
Cheers

Im trying this after 1 week in the bottle,offer will prob be off by then though !
2.9kg of liquid malt for £12.50 is decent (as long as its not foul)
Kilner are trying to enter the market.so.hopefully they have invested in a bit of quality ???

pms67 said:
And the first kit i have done in 9 months of brewing that smells of eggs ?
Hopefully this is something normal.
Cheers

Sulphur is a smell yeast often produces, but I thought this was characteristic of lager yeast(?) I was hoping this didn't use a lager yeast, as I don't have a brewing fridge to control the temperature. The temp range the instructions suggest seem fine, however.

I might be wrong with my suphur from lager yeast thing, though - I'm pretty new to this.

Not sure what type of yeast but i know it was a BIG packet.
It said something on the packet,cant remember,varied yeast or something ?
Hopefully the dextrose i added wont affect it.except boost the.abv

Hi Bought a Lager and bitter kit drom Sainsburys on line for 16.60 Not the 7.50 as in last post damn missed that :cry: . I see the price on Amazon etc is ridiculusly expensive for what it is.
I fancy tarting it up a bit and have thoughts to add 500g DME and some Citra hops boiled/ steeped for last 10 mins of boil. Im reconning on about 25g - any advice if this is enough for 40 pint brew?
thanks
Ian

As far as amount of hops mate, it's all personal preference.
I used to dry hop with 30g but have started using 50g. I never really bother boiling hops now, I've only done it a few times to be fair and once my Aussie lager turned out too bitter for about 6-8 weeks before it turned into a decent hoppy pint.
Have fun experimenting

Latest posts

Back