ESB Recipe Critique

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll finally be brewing an ESB next month when my hobby funds are replenished.

I really like a biscuity flavor and want to incorporate it into mine. With that in mind it was suggested to me to drop the 1 lb of Optic for Biscuit, and with what I read about Biscuit being a strong flavor not to use more than 5% (~1/2 lb), and so I added 1/2 lb of Gambrinus Honey Malt. Who doesn't like honey on a biscuit??? I doubt it will add much honey flavor, but I wanted to keep my numbers in line with what I had initially.

Unfortunately I'm not able to do a full mash, and cannot get a proper extract (LME) for this so I am using Briess Golden Light as the backbone.

Here is what I have so far for a 6 gal partial mash:

6 lbs Briess Golden Light LME (flame out)
2 lbs Fawcett Maris Otter
1 lb Hugh Baird crystal 50/60
1/2 lb Dingemans Biscuit
1/2 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt
1/4 lb Munton carapils
1 oz Weyermann carafa II special
S-04
1 oz Northern Brewer & 1/2 oz EKG @ 60 mins
3/4 oz EKG @ 20/5 mins

1.055/1.014
5.4%
38 IBU's
12 SRM

I could use Crisp Maris Otter instead.

Would you make any changes?

I buy the bulk of my ingredients from MoreBeer, and some of my grains from my local HBS.

I'm considering dropping the honey malt for 1/2 lb of Munton's Maris Otter. If not I'm considering using honey to prime with.

What is the difference in Maris Otter between these brands? I'm guessing there are more companies making it as well.

Anyone have a recommendation or comment?

I'd really like for it to have a true British character, though I'm doubtful it will be fine using Briess LME. And because of that I'm leaning towards using M.O. instead of honey malt, though a little honey does sound good.

I'm also considering reducing the LME a bit and using more M.O., though I'm a little fearful as I have issues with temp control doing BIAB, as well as volume I can handle. But I don't want a sub par ESB, though I obviously need to sacrifice a bit.

I had been told of another supplier who sells M.O. LME (Maillard Malts), but I would get less for my money and be charged for shipping (I get free shipping on larger orders where I typically shop). I am considering trying it out though despite the additional costs and less product.

I reduced my Briess LME to 5 lbs, and increased the Maris Otter to 3 3/4 lbs, took out the honey malt, and swapped carafa II special for 2 oz of carafa I special to keep my SRM's at 12.

I was going to suggest the M.O. LME (Maillard Malts), but I see you are already aware of that option.
If you want to order from Morebeer you might want to try their Pale Malt Extract instead of the Golden Light.
I have never used it but that's what I'd order for an ESB.

Back