Can I leave it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orval62

Apprentice
Reaction score
Found my keg of Wherry leaking today from the tap on this Wilko keg, so I tighten it up slightly and I also pulled a glass of the brew.I did this as I felt the pressure in the barrel was too much. The brew had a fantastic head, slightly cloudy, with quite a good taste. The beer has only been in the keg for a week conditioning, with me taking a glass out of the keg, will I be OK in leaving it a further week or two before I start to drink it. Or will taking some out of the keg shorten the life of beer?

Found my keg of Wherry leaking today from the tap on this Wilko keg, so I tighten it up slightly and I also pulled a glass of the brew.I did this as I felt the pressure in the barrel was too much. The brew had a fantastic head, slightly cloudy, with quite a good taste. The beer has only been in the keg for a week conditioning, with me taking a glass out of the keg, will I be OK in leaving it a further week or two before I start to drink it. Or will taking some out of the keg shorten the life of beer?
Your beer will be fine. Taking out a glass won't shorten its life, as long as it remains pressurised. Maturing it 3 weeks, rather than 2, produces noticeably better beer.

Cheers
Chris

Your beer will be fine. Taking out a glass won't shorten its life, as long as it remains pressurised. Maturing it 3 weeks, rather than 2, produces noticeably better beer.

Cheers
Chris

Wherry is a great kit, but has a rep for taking ages to clear. Did I say 3 weeks :hmm:

Cheers
Chris

Its good to have some experience advice, the last thing I want to do is ruin a brew. That's the thing with kegs, you have all your beer in one vessel.

Anyway based on the flavour of my sample glass I went to Wilkos and got another kit, its got a use by date of 2016 happy days, plenty of time to do another Wherry.

I went to Wilkos and got another kit, its got a use by date of 2016 happy days, plenty of time to do another Wherry.

Best time to do the next kit is pretty much now - get another barrel for it!

Its good to have some experience advice

To ensure a consistent supply of homebrew needs 3 or 4 barrels. That should avoid running out :eek: or having to to drink immature beer. Ideally, a fermentation is finishing as your current barrel empties, so it can be cleaned etc and refilled straight away. Ideally...

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back