Using Campden tablets to stop fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a stout fermenting away that is currently down to 1020 gravity. I don't want it to go much lower so if I use a Campden tablet to stop the yeasts, will I need to add additional yeast when it comes to the bottling stage?

Surely the residual sugar in the stout will continue to ferment in the bottle once you put in the new yeast.

Would you not end up with bottle bombs if there is leftover sugars which you then add priming sugar to?

Campden tablets stun the yeast so if there is sugar tree and I they are still properly active this will not work. Plus when you bottle with fresh they will ferment the residual sugar. You could try campden tablets and sorbate but then you can't bottle condition and will have to keg.

I think your best options would be to ferment out and try again with the next batch using a higher mash temp, make another stout and blend them together or possibly use lactose in the fully fermented beer to add back the body and a creaminess to take the edge off the roast bitterness if it's too much.

Latest posts

Back