My First steps to a River Cottage lifestyle (pics galore)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm I love venison and rabbit so i think i'll bag myself one tomorrow I'm gonna chuck some grass seeds out before I go to bed so hopefully they'll be there tomorrow hope I've still got some pellets left :thumb:

Right, here come the piccies :D

First i quickly flash fried some onions, garlic and mushrooms and leeks.

200903232059_021.jpg

then i lightly stuffed it with them and drizzled a small bit of red wine into the cavity

200903232103_022.jpg

200903232109_023.jpg

on went the streaky bacon to help keep the bird moist during the cooking

200903232112_024.jpg

then into the oven it went at 230'c

200903232131_027.jpg

I just did the standard veg mix of leeks, broccoli, carrots and new tatties

200903232120_025.jpg

couldn't help but have a glass of the Beaverdale Merlot... yum!

200903232126_026.jpg

20-25 mins later, out came the bird

200903232200_028.jpg

poked it in a couple of places with a knife to check the juices ran clear, they did! :thumb:

200903232200_029.jpg

yum!

200903232202_030.jpg

it looks alot more pink in the photo than it was, but i assure you, it was cooked throughout :cool:

200903232210_031.jpg

yummy yummy, in my tummy :D

200903232225_032.jpg

the carcass then went into a saucepan with the left over veg, a bit of stock, and simmered for 30 mins.

200903232232_033.jpg

200903232239_034.jpg

I took out the carcass, added a bit more veg, and let it reduce down some more, then added some milk, freshly ground pepper, salt, and a few herbs. It tasted lovely and was left to cool in a jug. I've currently got some in a flask with me at work right now that i shall have for lunch :cool:

:clap: Nice photo's that looks like it was a tasty meal and looks like there was more meat on the bird than I expected *mouth is watering*

I am sitting here waiting for my tea to start eating the grass seeds :thumb:

there's not alot of meat on it, the only decent bit was the breast... i had a go at a leg but couldn't get alot off it.

but it's rich enough to be fullfilling :thumb: i certainly didn't want anymore in that sitting.

my rifle is now being kept by my patio door incase i spot one of the buggers land on my veg beds/lawn :D

next time i'll try pan frying the breast and doing something a little more exotic with it :D

oh, if you get one, sit it upright on your lawn... ie... using it as a decoy, then the rest of the pigeons might be tempted to come sit on the lawn next to it for another one in the bag to feed your mate/wife/whoever :thumb:

Looked good, you went to a lot of trouble plucking the whole bird, fair play to ya, I just skin the breasts back a bit and remove the breasts, I just love breasts . :thumb:

I hope no swans eyeball your veg plot :D

:lol:

My neighbour has asked if i can shoot them off of his trees too :party: i'll make sure i get that in writing before i do... don't fancy risking getting done for armed trespass! :shock:

BrewStew said:

You'll be glad im not your neighbour as if i'd seen you drinking & firing off your spud gun i'd be dialing 999 & reporting you. That would apply to anyone combining the 2.

Playing soldiers, fine. Having a drink, fine. Mixing the 2, stupid.

But im sure you'll say the pint was there just for show.

I say spud gun as i used to have a Logun s-16 for a while.

[post edited by admin]

MartialAnt said:
You'll be glad im not your neighbour as if i'd seen you drinking & firing off your spud gun i'd be dialing 999 & reporting you.

and you'd then get a stern warning from the police for wasting their time and money for sending armed police in riot vans round for a pointless call. Exactly what happened to my neighbour many houses and years back that thought they would poke their nose into other people's (my) affairs.

so you're against having two sips of a beer AFTER using a rifle to shoot a pest?

[post edited by admin]

Guy's I can see this going in the wrong direction - if you have differences of opinion that's fine - but it'd be appreciated if everything could be kept civil.

MartialAnt said:
BrewStew said:

You'll be glad im not your neighbour as if i'd seen you drinking & firing off your spud gun i'd be dialing 999 & reporting you. That would apply to anyone combining the 2.

Playing soldiers, fine. Having a drink, fine. Mixing the 2, stupid.

But im sure you'll say the pint was there just for show.

I say spud gun as i used to have a Logun s-16 for a while.

[post edited by admin]

I'd be more worried about your dodgy blue table and chairs than the air rifle... :roll:

Latest posts

Back