Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. No that's bang on. The temp is at the top end of ideal evidenced by the fact that it's brewed right down to desired fg in a smart fashion!
2. Possibly due to the high temperature, but just brewed beer throws of all sorts of aromas and I would think it'll smell completely different in another week. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.
3. Release of co2 caused by the hop particles nucleating the dissolved co2 driving some off
Gonna have a few of these this evening, great brew with a little patience, once packaged give it two weeks to carb and two to condition it'll be lovely,

1. Is that way too fast for fermentation? Why might that happen?
22-24*C is a on the warm side for me, I usually brew at 19*C. The higher temperature may explain why it fermented down to 1.010 in only one week, mine took nearly three. However I do think that you have added the hops too early, I thought the kit instructions said 1.008 for this beer. You will now have to wait until its fermented out properly which may be a few days more, but it might be as much as 10 days. You cannot do much about it now, and you certainly do not want to bottle until the primary has finished i.e consistent SG readings over consecutive days plus starting to clear. However, at worst you will just end up with a beer that is much hoppier than it was intended to be.

2. Could quick fermentation be linked to sour smell or is that normal at this stage?
Sometimes you get funny smells. I wouldn't get concerned about it yet.

3. Could fermentation be restarted by the hops at such a low SG? Or is it almost definitely a release of existing co2 in the beer.
My take on this is that the hop particles provide sites for the dissolved CO2 to come out of solution, and when things settle down again and equilibrium is restored the bubble rate will drop. However others on here will tell you that the fermentation has restarted due to the hops being added. Either way it is what it is, time will tell!

Thanks for this. I think the instructions say to add hops at 1.010 and to finish fermentation at 1.007. Do you think you should wait until fermentation has ceased to dry hop?

@Jiminy
I normally wait until the primary has virtually completely finished before I add the hops.
Doing it that way you have almost complete control of how long the hops are in the brew, and, you don't get the volatile hop oils stripped out of the brew by escaping CO2.

The great that about this kit is that after say two weeks conditioning it's ready. I'm realising with most the longer the better.

Hi chaps! So i have just started this whole brewing thing and am going through a trial and error learning curve. I am smack in the middle of making the Young's AIPA kit, I have been fermenting with the wilco heatmat at between 22-24C. I did everything to the instructions except I decided to make a yeast starter instead of sprinkling it on the top. I took an SG reading at the start of 1.064. After a week fermentation had slowed right down and I was worried that it had somehow cooled overnight and the yeast had stopped working. I took a SG reading today and it was just below 1.010. When taking the sample I noticed the beer smelled a bit sour, almost like a cider. Moving forward, as per the instructions I have added the hop pellets. Immediately after adding the pellets the air lock has started bubbling again. I have 3 questions:

1. Is that way too fast for fermentation? Why might that happen?

2. Could quick fermentation be linked to sour smell or is that normal at this stage?

3. Could fermentation be restarted by the hops at such a low SG? Or is it almost definitely a release of existing co2 in the beer.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James

1. No, with good temp control its not uncommon to ferment in a few days, some of mine have been less than a week but i tend to leave in FV for 2 weeks anyway.

2. Not sure about a sour smell, sorry, never had that

3. Ive had airlock activity restart again before slightly after adding dry hops, I wouldn't worry too much. Adding them at 1.010 is what the instructions say. If I'm fermenting for 14 days I tend to dry hop after 10 days but its no biggie, you may find some of the aroma is slightly less that's all but this kit is a strong, pungent one anyway

I've had the airlock restart after adding hops it's "nucleation of c02" and after checking my notes it was the same beer! Mine took exactly a month and went down to 1006..I have about 8 left which will get a good looking at this weekend. ..I have another kit waiting!

Cheers

Clint

Does this kit still come with a 20g packet of yeast?
I've got a 10g pack with my red amber kit. Can't wait to get it on

That looks fine mate. Remember to do one more sg before u bottle/keg. I'm sure it's a good reading though.
You might want to try and put the fv somewhere colder so the hops fall out of suspension. Making transfering to the bottling bucket easier

Still fairly new to this, yesterday I found a couple of bottles of this from 4m ago and blimey - those people that say wait 3-4 months were not wrong, it was crystal clear & tasted wonderful. Now it is a little bit warmer, I am on full on stockpile for the summer mode!

I noticed this too. Can't wait to get the Young's A.A.A on. Just a heads up to all readers this kit also has a whopping 100g of hops. Pacific Jade from New Zealand, Cluster and Summit to be precise.

Evening folks,
Started my 3rd brew, and after 2 days at 22-23c it is vigorous! had to make a blow off into a jug, got 2 inches of foam at least.
the best fermentation so far!
Also found that my kitchen cupboard is a constant 19-20c so out went the other halves breadmaker! :)
pleased so far as i dont have loads of space in my kitchen, easily 2 degrees lower in the cabinet than on the top were i brewed the first two.
Result!!

Cheers :thumb:

This kit was my first go at dry hopping. I pitched the pellets loose into the wort, then bottled a week later with out racking. All my bottles had hop debris floating in them. Not pleasant​, and another lesson learnt.

That aside, it was probably the best kit I've brewed.

This kit was my first go at dry hopping. I pitched the pellets loose into the wort, then bottled a week later with out racking. All my bottles had hop debris floating in them. Not pleasant​, and another lesson learnt.

That aside, it was probably the best kit I've brewed.

Can't wait for mine to condition. Used two hop filter bags over the end of my little bottler with this. Glad I did, there was loads of hop gunge in the bags when finished.
Not surprising it goes off like a train, 20g yeast sachet!!:grin:

Can't wait for mine to condition. Used two hop filter bags over the end of my little bottler with this. Glad I did, there was loads of hop gunge in the bags when finished.
Not surprising it goes off like a train, 20g yeast sachet!!:grin:

Any tips, mines been in the Fermenter for 15 days now and has a little bit of the foam left, heard some leave it for three weeks.

After putting the hops in, how long did you leave it! gonna take a gravity reading soon.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back