Beer faucet question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Yes. The stout Nozzle is designed to foam a stout which is usually quite low carbed. This is undesirable on most beers.

I believe these "stout taps" have finely perforated plates in them to ensure the nitrogen used for conditioning will come out of solution like fine shaving foam. Despite the very cold temperatures used too (which discourages foam).

That trick will play havoc on beer not so traumatically treated (i.e. well cold, well pressured - 30+ psi - and full of alien gases). Result for normal beers - "glasses of foam all round".

If this puts you off stout taps I've saved you a few pennies too - they are flippin' expensive!

(Oops, just contradicted the previous poster - take your pick).
(No I haven't. The enormous pressure is with mixed gas so the stout is effectively "low carbed"; low in CO2).

You can always remove the perforated ss plate from a stout tap to pour beers and lagers ;) just dont loose it for when you want to serve a stout. ebay is a good source of 2nd use ex pub dalex style taps such as those pictured.

You can always remove the perforated ss plate from a stout tap to pour beers and lagers ;) just dont loose it for when you want to serve a stout. ebay is a good source of 2nd use ex pub dalex style taps such as those pictured.
Thanks for that confirmation Fil - I was just speculating that they had a "perforated plate" in them working on other knowledge (hence I started my post "I believe...").

So, as I said, use on normal beer and the taps (without the plate removed) WILL play havoc with beers normally conditioned. But I now know the plates can be temporarily removed.

Back