Woodfordes wherry one can Idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
I have decided to make my beer go a bit further so I'm using just one can of woodfordes wherry

15 litres

1.5kg kit
600g golden syrup
25g challenger hops (in fermenter)
Kit yeast
25g challenger hops (dry hopping)

Then when I do the second kit, I will be using maple syrup and a crossmyloof real ale yeast

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have decided to make my beer go a bit further so I'm using just one can of woodfordes wherry

15 litres

1.5kg kit
600g golden syrup
Kit yeast

Then when I do the second kit, I will be using maple syrup and a crossmyloof real ale yeast

The OG was 1.043
So should be around 4.3%-4.5%

Good luck,Ive never used Golden Syrup in a brew
I have used it a few times in 23 Lt batches, not sure if I have tasted it in the brew but it's not ruined it either, but 600g in a 15lt batch should come through better

I have used it a few times in 23 Lt batches, not sure if I have tasted it in the brew but it's not ruined it either, but 600g in a 15lt batch should come through better

I've used it before and too much can leave it very dry and sweet as I found out at Christmas when I used 1kg in a 23l brew.
You never know until you try 👍

Gerry

I love playing around with single cans from the 2-can kits and making smaller volume brews. Got a few on at the moment.

Why don't you try a mini-mash, the grain amount is small so can be done in your kitchen pans. Use either 200g Maris Otter and 100g of light crystal malt such as Caragold, or just 300g of MO, or add 100g of Wheat Malt as well. Mash at 66C for an hour (give it a good stir at the start, midpoint and end), strain, do the hop boil/steep in the remaining liquid plus a bit of extra water, then make up with the 1-can kit to 12/13L. Will give an OG around 1044.

Here's my latest one, went on last Sun, a 12L brew. I do a short hop boil to add a little bitterness to the already-bittered kits, you may not want to do this and/or shorten the boil to 10mins.

A good way to use the kit yeast too. There's nothing wrong with it, just not enough of it for a 23L brew, so in a half-size brew its perfectly adequate.

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Wherry single can (83.33%)
0.200 kg Maris Otter Malt (11.11%)
0.100 kg Caragold (5.56%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Challenger Leaf (6.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
18.0 g Challenger Leaf (6.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)

I love playing around with single cans from the 2-can kits and making smaller volume brews. Got a few on at the moment.

Why don't you try a mini-mash, the grain amount is small so can be done in your kitchen pans. Use either 200g Maris Otter and 100g of light crystal malt such as Caragold, or just 300g of MO, or add 100g of Wheat Malt as well. Mash at 66C for an hour (give it a good stir at the start, midpoint and end), strain, do the hop boil/steep in the remaining liquid plus a bit of extra water, then make up with the 1-can kit to 12/13L. Will give an OG around 1044.

Here's my latest one, went on last Sun, a 12L brew. I do a short hop boil to add a little bitterness to the already-bittered kits, you may not want to do this and/or shorten the boil to 10mins.

A good way to use the kit yeast too. There's nothing wrong with it, just not enough of it for a 23L brew, so in a half-size brew its perfectly adequate.

Grain Bill
----------------

Hop Bill
----------------
Some good ideas, yeah I find using kit yeast on a small batch works really well, it's bubbling away nicely, plus I can always reuse the yeast on the other can if I wanted too

Grain Bill
----------------

Hop Bill
----------------

Hi, would you boil the wort collected from the grains for an hour or just the shorter 20/10 minutes?

Hi, would you boil the wort collected from the grains for an hour or just the shorter 20/10 minutes?

Shorter 20/10mins.

The Wherry kit is already bittered so you don't really want to add much more bitterness. You need to boil a proper all grain brew for a full 60/90 mins because there is no bitterness to start with.

I've had a go at splitting a 2 x can of Brupaks Microbrewery Colne Valley kit. It was out of date by a month so I though why not try something a bit different.

grain bill of 200g Maris Otter and 100g of Carapils malt mashed for 60 mins at 66C

I then boiled for 20 mins. With 10 mins to go I added the wort from one can along with (here's where it will get interesting) 32g of Amarillo pellets 9%AA.

I'm either going to destroy an already decent brew kit :nono: or have a beer more customed to the hoppyness that I prefer :mrgreen: . I suppose time will tell. :doh:

Made to 12 litres OG of 1040. Waiting for it to cool down prior to pitching the yeast.

Probably dry hop with another APA style hop later on.

15 litres

1.5kg kit
600g golden syrup
Kit yeast

Curiously, I made up an 18 litre brew with one can of Wherry just yesterday! But I added around 1.5kg of grains I had left over, plus Challenger, Northdown & Fuggles. Got SG of 1.043 out of it. We can compare at the end. :thumb:

Curiously, I made up an 18 litre brew with one can of Wherry just yesterday! But I added around 1.5kg of grains I had left over, plus Challenger, Northdown & Fuggles. Got SG of 1.043 out of it. We can compare at the end. :thumb:
Yeah will do, yours should be better with grains added

Grain Bill
----------------

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Challenger Leaf (6.1% Alpha) Dry Hop

Just bottled this, after deciding to add a further 15g Challenger as a dry hop. Fermented it out with the Wherry kit yeast, which is fine for a 12L brew.

It's one of the best-tasting beers I've ever had at the bottling stage, and it can only get better. A few grains and hops can make all the difference with these kits, give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back