'boiled'mash salvage query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon_Ted

Reaction score
my first trial mash through my HERMS didn't go to plan, see posts on Herms in another section. the principle problem was that the mash was far hotter than programmed, for reasons discussed elsewhere.

i assumed the high temps of around 75degC would have denatured the enzymes and that it would be ruined. to my surprise the wort tasted very sweet(i didn't take a gravity reading unfortunately, and fermentation proceeded well before faling off on day four.

i then followed my standard system of dropping, crash cooling to below 5deg and then adding isinglass before transfering to a fridge and keeping at around 5deg.

normally after 1 day the brew is as clear as a bell, however this time there was significant deposit at the bottom of the bucket but it was stil very cloudy. i got round to measuring the gravity and it was 19 at 5deg.

i have now dropped it again and added a second dose of isinglass to see if this clears it. but i am concerned that the high gravity is an obstacle. the beer tastes good and not sweet.

any advice on how i should try and salvage this?

ps i am re-designing my HERMS by the way!! when the parts i purchased actually work.

mark

If it tastes good but won't clear, as long as isn't full of bigi bits, just serve in a non glass vessel. :drink:
1019 does sound a bit high, however without an idea of the OG is is impossible to say.
You could put into a pressure barrel, take back into 19deg or so and see if it conditions/ferments out.

I've had brews that refused to clear but tasted fine. I believe the need for cristal clear beer is a relatively modern thing.

SHMBO always uses a half pint tumbler and so the secornd glass is always cloudy. I've given up telling her she is spoiling my hard work, but if she is happy so am I.

I had a similar problem recently, not as hot as yours but it only fermented down to 1.018. I drank most of it but it's been one of my worst brews. If it tastes OK, drink it. If not, make some more :drink: . Put it down to R&D costs :geek:

thank you both for your replies.

i have 'isinglassed' it again and it has cleared some more but not as clear as i would expect.

still it is drinkable though rather bitter as i experimented by putting an extra 50% of hops in as i thought it would be **** any way. now i wish i hadn't as it is definitely too bitter and the beer isn't actually that bad! which is amazing given the circs.

i am promised my pid will be returnd by tomoz checked, programmed and working. so hopefully the next batch will be as planned.

mark

Latest posts

Back