Possible FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bquiggerz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I friend who works at Heinz had told me he can get both 25l, and 5l food grade plastic drums. They are square, have a maybe 2" cap and have a handle. They are used for vinaigrette so I'm just wondering could these be converted to FV?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Ben.

I don't see why not, many members have used 5 litre spring water bottles with a hole drilled in the lid for an airlock, this is just a bit bigger. :thumb:

I currently use 5l water bottles but find they are made of very thin plastic, I can get these in either 5 or 25 litres for free, does what it contained not matter?

Last edited:
Its an oil and vinegar based salad dressing so they'll need a good clean, what do you intend to make in them?

WOW/fruit juice wines and cider in the 5l and maybe beer in one of the 25l I'll be messing about seeing if I can add a tap to one, after all they are free so if I ruin one it dm

The only issue I can think of is the fact I probably can't get my arm inside it, so I'd have to use a food grade adhesive/sealant

I've read about people fermenting beer in these successfully - mainly on Aussie websites, where they often chill the beer in these. Some of them just pitch the yeast into it once it's cooled enough. You need to either leave the cap loose to allow gas to escape, or put foil over the opening, or fit an airlock to the cap by drilling a hole.

I'll most likely drill and use an airlock, do you know of any tap I can add to that that doesn't have a backnut, or a sealant/adhesive that's food safe?

I don't sorry, I'm sure there's info out there if there are such things.

I have lots of 5L jerrycans like the one in the piccy and have done plenty of 1G brews in them. I don't bother with an airlock I just put a bit of cling film on the opening held with a lastic band.

Personally I definately couldn't be arsed with drilling a hole for a tap. Just syphon the beer/wine out

I'll most likely drill and use an airlock, do you know of any tap I can add to that that doesn't have a backnut, or a sealant/adhesive that's food safe?

Why don't you rotate the problem :-

Put the tap in the screw top lid and drill a hole for the airlock on the side. Then use it sideways.

If you make the airlock hole big enough for a normal rubber bung you should be able to fill it quite quickly using a funnel or just siphon into it.

Simples :cool:

Hmm rotate the problem you say.... That could work. I could use it like the Mr beer LBK then. Done! That's definitely one of the two prototypes I'll try :)

Latest posts

Back