Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am usually. But think it maybe a yeast issue as it stuck at 1020. So to try get it going moved to a fresh FV with a spot of sugar in. Still didn't budge after a week. So wasn't much else I could do really. Bottled it but clearly it's failed. Ah well. Nothing I can do about it. Onwards to trying it again.

D*mn, that's a shame... I'd probably rate this as my best pint/brew of 2015 (unless one of my current 'conditioning' brews pips it at the post!).

I took a bottle into work for a mate that goes to the Munich Oktoberfest every year. He likes a stout in the winter months and he thought it was superb too :thumb:

It's carbed up now and in serious danger of not making it to Xmas <sigh>

I've drank it from clibits stash hence me wanting to make it as I know it's damn good and planned on this bring my festive tipple. Annoying. But will brew it again. Might even do it in new year and try leave till next Christmas. I doubt that though. Did you use the Weiss yeast in it?

My mate produced a bottle of this last weekend that I gave him about a year ago. It was really fantastic. If you could brew it now for next Christmas you'd be really chuffed that you did.

Well that'll be my first brew of the new year then. And then put it to bed for 12 months. I shall of course have to test the odd one along the way.

I've drank it from clibits stash hence me wanting to make it as I know it's damn good and planned on this bring my festive tipple. Annoying. But will brew it again. Might even do it in new year and try leave till next Christmas. I doubt that though. Did you use the Weiss yeast in it?

Yeah, I used the real thing (which took a while to arrive!) as per @clibit post - thanks :hat:

Followed the recipe exactly. Penny just dropped that I forgot to save some trub and I only bought one pack of the yeast :doh:

My mate produced a bottle of this last weekend that I gave him about a year ago. It was really fantastic. If you could brew it now for next Christmas you'd be really chuffed that you did.

I don't know... it's a 9/10 beer for me right now, not sure I could wait 12 months for that extra point :-D

well well had this fermenting for a fortnight now just taken a sample to test with hydrometer sitting at 1.020 which is not great but i have just drunk the complete sample jar for the first time ever this is absolutely great at the moment so heres to how its gonna turn out........gave my fermenter a good swirl to try and get it going again try another sample next weekend and hopefully get it bottled,well whats left haha.
The best part is i still got half a pack of mauribrew weiss left so another batch of the same i presume i ordered it from latvia £3.99 delivered,e bay
a question for clibit how much priming sugar did you use and did you batch or bottle prime?
thanks for recipe clibit cheers lagerlad

well well had this fermenting for a fortnight now just taken a sample to test with hydrometer sitting at 1.020 which is not great but i have just drunk the complete sample jar for the first time ever this is absolutely great at the moment so heres to how its gonna turn out........gave my fermenter a good swirl to try and get it going again try another sample next weekend and hopefully get it bottled,well whats left haha.
The best part is i still got half a pack of mauribrew weiss left so another batch of the same i presume i ordered it from latvia �£3.99 delivered,e bay
a question for clibit how much priming sugar did you use and did you batch or bottle prime?

Hi Lagerlad, glad you're liking it, hope you get the FG down a bit more. I batch prime this with 4g per litre. And it gets better and better with age, if you can leave any!

Mine didn't go past 1020 when I did this brew. With extra yeast added too. Ended up binning it all in the end as was to over carbed and just gushed all over. Having tasted one from Clibit though this is a very good ale and gutted mine failed

The best part is i still got half a pack of mauribrew weiss left so another batch of the same i presume i ordered it from latvia ��£3.99 delivered,e bay

Same happened for me too. 1.020 exactly. After 3 weeks, I racked to secondary, gave it a bit of a stir and left it for another 2 weeks. It came out at 1.012 and was absolutely flipping gorgeous!

Black Sabbath
(A Heavy Metal) American Stout
The weiss yeast makes this into a very spicy stout, and the roast malts make it intense. It's my own creation. Mwahahahaha! You can sub other hops obviously. You could use a less flavoursome yeast, but that would make it into a more regular stout - which may be all you want.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.08 %
Bitterness (IBU): 48

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.47%)
0.200 kg Black Malt (8.15%)
0.120 kg Crystal Rye (4.89%)
0.075 kg Crystal 120 Dark (3.05%)
0.060 kg Roasted Barley (2.44%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12 g Admiral Leaf (14.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.6 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66�C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18�C with Mauribrew Weiss
Is this the crystal in your recipe clibit
a493efc847844461bc7ed47dc3c589f8.jpg

Back