Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it has a top like this it should be reusable, I have 2 of these that I have going and they work great. Not sure if many of the supermarket offerings have live yeast in though, having to let the beer settle for several hours is not a great selling point for average customer. I think most of the beers mentioned already (OSH, Hob etc) come in this sort of keg.

2015-10-30 15.15.24.jpg

As an experiment, I'm going to fix a tap (an inch or so from base) to a 5L water bottle. Same sort of thing when you think about it.
That's if I can find one with a good looking cap.
What's the worse that can happen?
Well I might drop a doodar if it decides to explode when conditioning, Zelda wouldn't be happy, but beyond that, game on!

I've bought two speckled hens today. No Waitrose around so had to use Tesco. Still reasonable though I thought, £15 a pop.

As an experiment, I'm going to fix a tap (an inch or so from base) to a 5L water bottle. Same sort of thing when you think about it.
That's if I can find one with a good looking cap.
What's the worse that can happen?
Well I might drop a doodar if it decides to explode when conditioning, Zelda wouldn't be happy, but beyond that, game on!

I've bought two speckled hens today. No Waitrose around so had to use Tesco. Still reasonable though I thought, �£15 a pop.

I think it may well explode as I don't thik still water bottles are meant to hold much pressure. You may be interested in these I saw on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-Mini-K...839942?hash=item1ea6494a86:g:IwQAAOSwpDdVAWoP

You could probably put taps in those?

I'll defo have a go Joe.
Only because I have a tap I bought but didn't need.
Next time I'm shopping will look for a suitable bottle.

Gosh - come back from Lidl, pour a beer ... and this thread has grown a bit!

There are 2 systems of this type of keg and you need to know what you're dealing with ...

Mini Kegs come with a top tap system. These can be pressurised with co2 or IIRC you can get a pumpable tap system.

Easy Kegs are the same size / shape but have an integral bottom tap and are vented at the top via an openable bung. This lets air in and the beer will then start to deteriorate (although I find that opening to pour and then closing again maintains a reasonable co2 pressure and helps it to last at least a week ... ha chance would be a fine thing! :drink:)

5 litre kegs available in supermarkets are usually the Easy Keg type ... although there are some other systems in use. I have seen them on sale with many different commercial beers and probably will change according to your part of the country. Beware that not all have the same type of bung and not all bungs can be removed without destroying the the bung! However, the orifice will be the same size and replacement re-usable bungs are available - http://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg-bung.html - The type of bung in that link is easily removable and can be re-used many times. That type of bung is used on Old Speckled Hen / Golden Hen / Summer Lightning available in large Tesco and Waitrose (amongst others probably). I have had to destroy the bungs in Hobgoblin, Bath Ales and Lidl Weissbeer but the bungs mentioned above will fit. I have also seen an M & S beer that had another dial to pressurise it so I steered well clear of that one!

Prime as usual ... I use 20gms dextrose for an ale and prime with 175ml apple juice for my lady's turbo cider. Transportable without disturbing too much sediment IME.

Cleaning ... I rinse vigourously with hot water immediately when empty, seal with bung and then sanitise with Starsan before filling. Be careful as I have found that too much use of VWP can destroy the plastic lining! At least I think it was caused by the VWP. This procedure has served me well but I guess an oxy cleaner would also be OK to use.

:cheers:

Gosh - come back from Lidl, pour a beer ... and this thread has grown a bit!

There are 2 systems of this type of keg and you need to know what you're dealing with ...

Mini Kegs come with a top tap system. These can be pressurised with co2 or IIRC you can get a pumpable tap system.

Easy Kegs are the same size / shape but have an integral bottom tap and are vented at the top via an openable bung. This lets air in and the beer will then start to deteriorate (although I find that opening to pour and then closing again maintains a reasonable co2 pressure and helps it to last at least a week ... ha chance would be a fine thing! :drink:)

5 litre kegs available in supermarkets are usually the Easy Keg type ... although there are some other systems in use. I have seen them on sale with many different commercial beers and probably will change according to your part of the country. Beware that not all have the same type of bung and not all bungs can be removed without destroying the the bung! However, the orifice will be the same size and replacement re-usable bungs are available - http://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg-bung.html - The type of bung in that link is easily removable and can be re-used many times. That type of bung is used on Old Speckled Hen / Golden Hen / Summer Lightning available in large Tesco and Waitrose (amongst others probably). I have had to destroy the bungs in Hobgoblin, Bath Ales and Lidl Weissbeer but the bungs mentioned above will fit.

Prime as usual ... I use 20gms dextrose for an ale and prime with 175ml apple juice for my lady's turbo cider. Transportable without disturbing too much sediment IME.

Cleaning ... I rinse vigourously with hot water immediately when empty, seal with bung and then sanitise with Starsan before filling. Be careful as I have found that too much use of VWP can destroy the plastic lining! At least I think it was caused by the VWP. This procedure has served me well but I guess an oxy cleaner would also be OK to use.

:cheers:

Very informative MrDD.

What's you opinion of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Litre-Mi...0AAOSwyQtVm5QP

Why do you think it says non refillable?Because of the the type of bung?

MrDasherD, great post.

I nominate you to put a 'How to' thread together on your next filling day!

Yes I think the bung on that one looks very much like one that necessitated destruction to remove it. I also had to ditch one with that type of tap recently as the tap started to leak. I've now got to buy another and drink 5 litres of beer to replace it :whistle:

The cost of getting an empty one delivered is pretty much exactly what it costs for a full one from supermarket. Plus you don't need to wait for it!

So.....does anyone have a definitive list of which commercial ones are re-usable and which ones are not?

I've used hobgoblin, and one called quartz blonde. If it's 'that' keg with the red and black stopper in the top your good to go.

Oh and some have grey carry handles :-)

Yes I think the bung on that one looks very much like one that necessitated destruction to remove it. I also had to ditch one with that type of tap recently as the tap started to leak. I've now got to buy another and drink 5 litres of beer to replace it :whistle:

So potentially they are reuseable if used with some of the bungs you linked?

If you look inside the tap there is a very small rubber flange that allows the tap to seal. If it worn it will leak. If that's the case though, just push the tap back in the keg after use.

I've been 're using these for some time now :-)

Thanks. I was really just looking for your perception rather than giving me an IBU number. I only quoted an IBU number so you could get an idea of what I like

You could check out Hobgobo Gold by getting a bottle from Aldi for £1.25.

OK let's see how we get on with uploading some piccies ... I have now equipped myself with another glass of ale!

Piccies show 1. my current offering (turbo cider with a hint of raspberry) in the fridge, 2.Empty Easy keg and bung, 3. the 3 component parts of the bung.

Oh the delights of mobile phones!

2015-10-30 17.16.45.jpg

2015-10-30 17.18.01.jpg

2015-10-30 17.18.39.jpg

Back