Using Saniclean properly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mell_man79

Reaction score
Hey guy's. Quick question. I have about 15 gallons of beer that I will need to bottle in a couple of weeks. I bought some PET bottles that I used for my previous brew that I have washed, partially filled with no rinse saniclean sterilizer, and recapped for storage. I figured this would keep the bottles ready for usage next time. The question is this. Is it safe to store the bottles this way, empty the saniclean, and bottle my brew? I'm not sure how long the saniclean is effective or if this is a proper way to keep my bottles sterilised. I also saved quite a bit of saniclean in a 23 liter bucket that I use to sterilize my equipment when brewing. I did this recently to brew the 15 gallons of beer. Now I'm a bit worried if my equipment was properly sterilised and if I'm gonna end up with 15 gallons of infected beer.

Another question totally unrelated to the previous one. The 15 gallons of beer I have fermenting is in 3 separate buckets. When it's done fermenting, I plan on using Harris Beer Brite to clear them. Does anyone have any experience using this stuff? One source is saying to add it to the fermenting wort once fermentation has completed, then let it clear for a couple of days. But a video I saw on YouTube had the guy add the rehydrated Beer Brite to the bottling bucket, then rack the beer on top before bottling. That doesn't sound right to me. Also. By adding the Beer Brite and waiting a couple of days for the beer to clear, does that remove the yeast needed to carbonate the beer in the bottles? I read somewhere that you can add one teaspoon of trub to bottling bucket to insure there will be enough yeast for carbonation, but I'm dry hopping these beers which means there will be hop settlement as well as yeast and Beer Brite in that one teaspoon.

The question is this. Is it safe to store the bottles this way, empty the saniclean, and bottle my brew? I'm not sure how long the saniclean is effective or if this is a proper way to keep my bottles sterilised.

I found this -

SANICLEAN

is also excellent for part soaking. If kept at a pH of 3 or below SANICLEAN will remain
effective for a week at a time and not require sweetening to eliminate spotting and
remove odors.. It is not recommended to use SANICLEAN on soft metals because of
the acid nature of this product.

As far as I know saniclean is simply a low foaming version of starsan in which case it's fine to use exactly as you describe, I do the same with my bottles but with starsan.
Regarding your second question, add the beer brite into the fv a day or two before bottling. It won't flocculate enough yeast to cause a problem, there will still be more than enough for carbonation so there is no need to add a spoonful of trub. Personally I've never bothered fining my beer, a little cloudiness doesn't worry me.

As far as I know saniclean is simply a low foaming version of starsan in which case it's fine to use exactly as you describe, I do the same with my bottles but with starsan.
Regarding your second question, add the beer brite into the fv a day or two before bottling. It won't flocculate enough yeast to cause a problem, there will still be more than enough for carbonation so there is no need to add a spoonful of trub. Personally I've never bothered fining my beer, a little cloudiness doesn't worry me.

Ah thanks! I was worried that I may have some infected beer on my hands. Looks like I'm ok though. As for clearing my beer. I wouldn't be worried about if every beer I've brewed ended up with serious chill haze. In the bottle at room temp, crystal clear. once in the fridge or freezer. cloudy. Wanted to try clearing to see if it makes a difference. I'll follow your advice on the clearing. Anyway. Here's what I'm fermenting as of yesterday.

All extract Delirium Tremens clone
Festival's New England Pilsner
Festival's Belgian Pale Ale

IMG_20160809_160328.jpg

Cooling the brew as quickly as possible after the boil helps to eliminate chill haze as does using irish moss or protofloc. If you have temperature control then conditioning at or below serving temperature for a while before bottling also helps.

Btw love your choice of brew, Tremens is great :hat:

Cooling the brew as quickly as possible after the boil helps to eliminate chill haze as does using irish moss or protofloc. If you have temperature control then conditioning at or below serving temperature for a while before bottling also helps.

Btw love your choice of brew, Tremens is great :hat:

Thanks Steve! Hope it comes out close to Delirium Tremens. I used Ginger, Coriander, and Grains of Paradise for the spices. We'll see how it goes. I have no way to control temps really. I've just began homebrewing this year and make due with what I have. Which is the basics. I've done partial mash kits earlier this year, but my stove has a hard time getting temperatures up. Electric conduction type. I cool the beer down by putting it in the bath tub filled with cold water. Not very effective. As I go on though, I'm getting better at this so will probably buy more equipment in the future.

Back