Keg Pressure Problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I think I have spoken about this before but I am a bit concerned this time. As most of you on this forum know I own one of these https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/registe...2-injection-valve-pressure-indicator-p-4.html
Well last week I put my ale into the above with no gas capsule just the beer Gas which read 3 psi which I was quite happy with. Well yesterday I wanted to taste the beer and see if had cleared yet and what it tasted like when I poured the beer the head looked a bit week so I done a pressure test with the little Gizmo they give you with the keg and it read 00 psi. I just could not understand this. as when i brought the keg from its heat pad into a colder place so the beer could clear. with in a week I had lost the natural pressure that the beer had given me. So I quickly put in a gas capsule last night and it read 7 psi but when I checked it this morning the psi had gone down to 3.5 psi I tried to look for leeks but could not find any. to my knowledge anyway ( But my brewing Knowledge is not that brilliant:whistle:) So could someone tell me what is going on here please and should I put the the keg back on its head pad I must admit I took it of its heat pad a week before the instructions told me to. PS the beer kit is on of the Festival Range

The gas pressure will drop as the CO2 is absorbed by the beer,did you sugar carb beforehand? I always do in a KK usually 3 ounces for 5 gallon,saves on your gas too

When you cool the beer the pressure will drop itself and more CO2 will dissolve in the beer. Putting it in the keg with only 3psi then cooling it will not only drop the pressure to zero, it may reduce the amount dissolved in the beer depending on the temperature.

Something similar happened when you added 7psi - it is dissolving in the beer.

I have a couple of "beer machines," These go into the fridge at 12psi after fermentation and quickly drop to 5-7. For many beers this is a bit under carbed, but OK for a "real ale." I am fitting ball locks to them to use them with my gas bottle soon as they go through a lot of bulbs.

So nothing to worry about then I was concerned that as the pressure was reading zero the beer might go off. Gods dog I put in the the sugar supplied with the festive kit. And what is a KK? And Qukka the 3psi is what the ale made on its own Should I put the keg back on the heat mat? So when will pressure stop going to zero?

So nothing to worry about then I was concerned that as the pressure was reading zero the beer might go off. Gods dog I put in the the sugar supplied with the festive kit. And what is a KK? And Qukka the 3psi is what the ale made on its own Should I put the keg back on the heat mat? So when will pressure stop going to zero?
a KK IS a king keg which is the same as your balihoo keg if you sugar carbed at 3 ounces you would certainly carb up enough over a week or so,any more and its a foam fountain jobbo trying to pour a pint
ps the warmer your beer the more the CO2 will come out of soloution and raise your PSI,But you don't want warm beer do you:lol:

I only used the Priming sugar that came with the festive beer kit Should I add more sugar then.? Also am I correct that do not have to worry about what the PSI meter says just watch the beer and when it come out with no head then you add gas. At the moment I have got to leave the beer for 3 weeks before drinking so how often should I check the beer pressure so I do not lose it by going stale

I only used the Priming sugar that came with the festive beer kit Should I add more sugar then.? Also am I correct that do not have to worry about what the PSI meter says just watch the beer and when it come out with no head then you add gas. At the moment I have got to leave the beer for 3 weeks before drinking so how often should I check the beer pressure so I do not lose it by going stale
If you have a standard budget type PB with a 2" cap then it is unwise to add any more than about 95g sugar, since there is a danger you might pressure stress the barrel. In any case with the standard dispensing tap, any more and you initially dispense more foam than beer, unless you have 15mins to spare.
By the sound of it I think you have a leak. These are often difficult to find but I have had success finding leaks with soapy water brushed around the PB seams and in the space between the cap and PB, all done when the PB is pressurised.
Finally once the PB is pressurised the pressure should only fall as you draw off your beer. And your beer will not go stale unless you keep opening it up and/or you let air glug through the tap due to insufficient head pressure.

If you added priming sugar when you transferred the beer to the keg you most definitely should have kept it on the heat for at least a week to carb up. If you measured 3 psi in the head space at about 20C it could easily drop to zero or less as the beer and gas contracts at a lower pressure if cooled. I did not think you were naturally carbonating from your description and in order to carbonate it (condition) you will need to warm it up for at least a week so it can ferment your priming sugar before you start worrying about leaks. It is too late now, but you probably should have pressure tested it before adding the beer as such vessels are prone to leaks unless you have coated all the seals and threads with a food safe lubricant, and even then anything plastic can be a bit tricky.

So,

You did add priming sugar when you transferred it to the keg?

You clearly didn't wait for the beer to condition - what did the instructions say?

If the beer is carbonated, you will only need gas when it becomes difficult to pour, unless you don't drink very fast...

While you should have tested the barrel first, it still is too soon to jump to the conclusion that it is leaking at least until it is carbonated.

If you have a standard budget type PB with a 2" cap then it is unwise to add any more than about 95g sugar, since there is a danger you might pressure stress the barrel. In any case with the standard dispensing tap, any more and you initially dispense more foam than beer, unless you have 15mins to spare.
By the sound of it I think you have a leak. These are often difficult to find but I have had success finding leaks with soapy water brushed around the PB seams and in the space between the cap and PB, all done when the PB is pressurised.
Finally once the PB is pressurised the pressure should only fall as you draw off your beer. And your beer will not go stale unless you keep opening it up and/or you let air glug through the tap due to insufficient head pressure.

It has a 4" cap

Latest posts

Back