Lager off taste.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKi

Reaction score
Just brewed my first India Pale Lager, lagered it for 5 days at 1C (read it on brulosophy) and primed + bottled it on the 22nd. I tried one tonight (i know too early) and it tasted good apart from a funny yeasty taste. Basically i've had the bottles in the house carbonating since the 22nd and am now wondering should i:

A.) Leave them conditioning in the house at room temp for another week or so before trying again.

B.) Leave them conditioning in the house at room temp for another week or so then shove them in the fridge to lager for a while.

C.) Shove them in the fridge now to lager and hopefully get rid of the off taste.

I'm quite against lagering them for any period of time as the beer was heavily dry hopped and i don't want to kill the aroma.

If they are carbed correctly I would go C, if not B. If the undesired flavour is yeast, cold temps will drop it out. Hop aroma ages slower in cooler temps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Leave for 2 weeks before drinking, have to be patient with Lager. I noticed yeast around the side of the bottles after a week on mine but it drops out after a while. They should be drinkable when carbed but they will improve. Did you use finings? I have not tried without them as i think it helps.

Thanks for the replies. I revisited the Brulosophy article :

"For Those Who Bottle…
Use a trusted priming sugar calculator to determine the amount of your preferred fermentable to use; adding extra yeast is unnecessary, even if you fined with gelatin. Place the primed bottles in an environment that maintains a fairly consistent 68°-72°F (20°-23°C) and allow them to carbonate for 2-3 weeks. Once carbonated, I recommend placing multiple bottles in the fridge to “bottle lager” for 5+ days before enjoying, as this will encourage the precipitation of most particulate matter, providing you a clear and delicious lager beer."

So gonna go with B basically.

Isn't India Pale Lager kind of an oxymoron? As someone has pointed out, your hop aroma should last just fine at lagering temperatures - but the whole reason IPAs were heavily hopped (and high in alcohol) was because they had to travel a long distance on a ship without refrigeration. It was just a fortunate coincidence that bitter dry ales are very enjoyable in warmer climes (though they had little hop aroma or flavour by the time they arrived.)

Latest posts

Back