Fermentation and temperatures.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmCitra

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and thought it about time I joined up with you wonderful people here.

I've done a couple of kits and a few BiaB beers, all pretty good so far but I have one question.

I'm finding temperature control a challenge this time of year so my question is : if using US-05 yeast the fermentation ideal temperature range is 15-22 C which I can do using a water bath thingy............is this ideal temperature range just for the actual fermentation time, say the first 4 or 5 days of airlock activity and after that has finished it's not so critical as the yeast has done its job so I can dispense with the bath and just leave it in a cool place even if the temperature raises to slightly over the 22 C ??

Hope this makes sense.

Even after 4-5 the yeast is still working. To put it simply the flavour profile of the yeast is made within these first few days but raising the temperature after this time can affect the FG: warmer temperatures can make the yeast eat more sugars resulting in a lower FG. I'm not sure what the risk is of off flavours though after this time.

Even after 4-5 the yeast is still working. To put it simply the flavour profile of the yeast is made within these first few days but raising the temperature after this time can affect the FG: warmer temperatures can make the yeast eat more sugars resulting in a lower FG. I'm not sure what the risk is of off flavours though after this time.

After 4-5 days at 22C or less and using US 05, the risk of off-flavours is very low indeed.

US 05 will be a good summer time yeast as it is the product of a warmer climate than ours. Other good yeasts for this time of year include the Coopers Ale yeast that comes with their kits.

Other good yeasts for this time of year include the Coopers Ale yeast that comes with their kits.

Anyone know if and where this yeast can be bought without the kit? I remember being impressed with its performance ( usual desirable yeast parameters) back when I used to do kits.

Anyone know if and where this yeast can be bought without the kit? I remember being impressed with its performance ( usual desirable yeast parameters) back when I used to do kits.

I dont think you can buy it with buying a kit. Nottingham/wilko ale/ Gervin G12 would be good substitute. I've read it's happy at mid 20's and good up to 27C. Because of this I've just this eve ptich a pack into a bitter to free fermement in my kitchen which is currently 24C

I dont think you can buy it with buying a kit. Nottingham/wilko ale/ Gervin G12 would be good substitute. I've read it's happy at mid 20's and good up to 27C. Because of this I've just this eve ptich a pack into a bitter to free fermement in my kitchen which is currently 24C

Wow I didn't know gervin was as durable. I also read Cooper's yeast can cope with those temps.
Oh and yes I believe I saw single packets of they're yeast on eBay. But the price for a 7g pack plus packaging put me off.

I mainly use nottingham/gervin because like MyQul says it has the best working temp range of I think anything and works for most styles.

The only other yeast I've come across with such a large working temp range is MJ Workhorse but they've discontinued that now

Don't forget mauribrew 514. Decided to use this on the next brew. Actually the next 7. Went a bit mad on the order.
Not sure if this could also be a yeast considered for the chop as they were past theyre best before date, as far as I was aware they're was no fresh packs.

I would post a link but there's already a thread on it

Have any of you free fermeters found flavour differences when you're fermenting at the warm end of the recommended range?
I was under the impression that even within the temp range they'd be quite a difference between the low & high end?

I don't use US-05 but I use plenty that have a similar range and the most important bit is the first three days. I tend to give them 4-5 in whichI keep a close eye on the temperature and then let them rise a bit after that if needed to reach FG if they're struggling. I've done that using a water bath in the same way you have.

The character I get seems to compare to other homebrew I've tasted where the temperature is controlled more carefully so I can't see it has any ill effects. I've just got a brew fridge sorted so I'll be able to compare a bit better in the coming months. A lot of people swear that temperature control is the biggest thing for flavour so I hope I see some improvements.

Don't forget mauribrew 514. Decided to use this on the next brew. Actually the next 7. Went a bit mad on the order.
Not sure if this could also be a yeast considered for the chop as they were past theyre best before date, as far as I was aware they're was no fresh packs.

I would post a link but there's already a thread on it

Dont think you can pseudo lager with 514 though. Both the workhorse and notty can gor down to about 14C. I dont think 514 can

Dont think you can pseudo lager with 514 though. Both the workhorse and notty can gor down to about 14C. I dont think 514 can

Should have read more posts. Yes his yeast wouldn't b any use starting at 20c

...heavens above! Visions of grasshopper walking the rice paper....master po. ..I mean dutto. .."when you have learnt not to boil your feet....you will be ready..."

Back