Fermentation freezer : please help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi there,

My friend an I have successfully made three batches of APAs.We now want to purchase a fridge or freezer so we can maintain temperature during fermentation during unpredictable summer and cold winter . I live in a small flat so want an under counter freezer (would be difficult with a chest as we'd have to pull it out every time). Has anyone got any recommendations of models that would be suitable? It would need to fit our 33l fermentation bucket. I know a lot have freezing panels in the middle. Also I was going to get an electrician to put in a Hylite 1ft Eco Tube Heater (45W) and a Inkbird ITC-308. Would this be enough to make the freezer suitable for maintaining temperature during winter and summer. Rather get the investment right now than have to shell out again in the future.

Really hope someone can give us some great advice as we want to get brewing batch 4 asap!

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

Don't quote me on this, but I think there are cooling pads out there just like heat pads but for cooling. Failing that it maybe be an idea of pricing up a portable small air conditioning unit, which will certainly cool the FV whilst in fermentation fella ? My local Micro Brewers use industrial cooling fans for theirs which work, as the add on pub get bloody warm in their even in the winter, which is right next to the bar lol.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking that but I was thinking if we converted a fridge it could do heating and cooling. Also thought it might be better to run cost wise!

Because I couldn't fit my FV into the fridges here in Japan, I made a fermentation chamber. I used an old closet I wasn't using, lined it with foam that costs almost nothing by the sheet and attached the freezer part to it. Then I made a STC to control it. STC's are a bit tough if you don't have any wiring background. But Inkbird sells a premade one that works well. Check YouTube for fermentation chambers and lots of ideas pop up.

Latest posts

Back