A question on bottles...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I''ve mostly used the Asda 17p chase springs bottles that are ribbed and not marked up as pet or the Asda Eden falls more expensive bottles that are marked as pet but also ribbed.

I thought PET was just the type of plastic it was made of?

I thought PET was just the type of plastic it was made of?

Yeah I think it is, but some plastic bottles are not smooth and I assume they would be subject to greater stresses at the ridges. Has anyone bottled using them before?

Yeah I think it is, but some plastic bottles are not smooth and I assume they would be subject to greater stresses at the ridges. Has anyone bottled using them before?

willycoolj (ex-soft drinks factory worker) has stated that ridged bottles are not safe for fizzy drinks, but essentially if it looks like the sort of thing that could hold fizzy drink then it probably is. So if it's the sort of smooth plastic bottle that could hold cola (if it's 2l) or tonic water (if it's 1l), then you're good to go. And now I stop to think about it, I never have seen a ridged bottle holding anything other than still drinks...

I had sort of assumed that PET was just a sort of food-safe plastic used to make drinks bottles, but I have no basis for this assumption.

Here's one of the Asda ridged 2l bottles taken to what I thought was the edge. It is still going strong but that was just a test brew, I wouldn't be too happy if the real one blew up. These bottles seem perfectly good enough for carbonation to me, I've had some really weak still water 500ml bottles that would fold like a harpsichord under the slightest pressure and they would obviously not work. These and the chase springs bottles seem ok to me though...

IMG_3188.jpg

Cheapest I've found for 500ml is Buxton Sparkling water bottles. Almost always in a sale somewhere [Co-Op for one] for around the £1.60 for 8 bottles mark, so 20p each. Reusable loads of times [though for some reason I can never get the labels off them]. Plus I like sparkling water anyway so I have dozens of them kicking around in boxes.

Don't look as nice as Coopers PET bottles though, you can pick them up in bricks-and-mortar homebrew shops for £10/40 bottles. I tend to do half and half batches, drink the Buxton ones myself and bring out the sunday best nicely labelled up Coopers bottles when mates are round.

Good shout, a couple of smaller "trial bottles" may be in order.

Chippy, I've looked into bottle cappers and glass bottles, and it's a route I'd like to go down, but will have to be a future thing.

Go for geterbrewed's bench capper, best thing for capping as far as I'm concerned :D

1. If it's a second hand bottle of known origin and held a fizzy drink like beer or sparking water or pop it's OK to use it for home brew beer. If it's a PET bottle then it depends how sniffy you are about multiple re-uses given they are so cheap. If its glass bear in mind that most bottles are designed for one trip use only, and multiple uses may lead to failure....perhaps.
2. If it's a second hand bottle of known origin and it's only held still water or the like and not a fizzy drink, you can't use it for beer. If you do it might crack or worse explode if you put beer into it.
3. If it's a second hand bottle of unknown origin and you are not sure about what it's had in it, don't use it. It most likely came to you FOC so chuck it, it's cost you nowt. :thumb:
4. If you are buying new make sure its OK for fizzy drinks. If you are unsure don't buy it.
What could be simpler?

Back