The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atcare

Reaction score
Hi folks
Been lurking for a while and it's now time to show my lack of knowledge. Hope to have a fermentation fridge up and running in a week or so and have been given some kits as presents. Here's my thoughts and questions.
Woodfordes Wherry kit. Brew as per instructions but replace yeast as it's out of date.
Coopers Stout kit. Would like to add some coffee notes. Have some vanilla Nespresso capsules left. How many would it take to make a difference.Would DME be better than brewing sugar.
Finally Geordie Scottish Export kit. Would like to attempt some thing like an 80/- using (cold) steeping grains. Which malts to use and how much to use and again DME or brewing sugar.
Look forward to your suggestions

Safale 04 yeast for woodfordes wherry,

Dry malt extract instead of dextrose, much better,

I have done the Scottish export with the following, cold steep 100g chocolate malt, 150g crystal malt, safale 04 yeast, 1kg Cooper's enhancer 2, 500g dry malt extract, leave for two months in bottles or keg, comes out smooth and nice

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have done woodfordes wherry with adding extra 500ml dry malt extract, was very malty, very nice indeed, drank it from bottles after two weeks, also have just done one can of it with 600g golden syrup and kit yeast to 15litres, other can I will do with 400g maple syrup and crossmyloof real ale yeast to 15 litres

Thanks for that. The export sounds great. Any thoughts on the stout
Every time I do stout it's never that nice, I did muntons stout with enhancer 2, it was bland, I did Cooper's stout with to much stuff, took ages to condition, it was ok, I stick to pale ales, IPA, woodfordes kits, I might look at a Young's mocha porter, good reviews

Safale 04 yeast for woodfordes wherry,

Dry malt extract instead of dextrose, much better,

I have done the Scottish export with the following, cold steep 100g chocolate malt, 150g crystal malt, safale 04 yeast, 1kg Cooper's enhancer 2, 500g dry malt extract, leave for two months in bottles or keg, comes out smooth and nice

Any idea if this ups the ABV

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Woodfordes Wherry is my "go to" kit and for me it tastes delicious without and additions.

I did a Coopers Stout kit back in March but I was looking for a "chocolate" rather than a "coffee" flavour.

I did a Mash of 1.60Kg of Maris Otter and 0.20Kg of Chocolate, boiled the wort with 15g of Perle Hop Leaf for 60 mins, cooled it and then followed the Coopers kit instructions. It's coming good and should be perfect by the Autumn when the weather starts to cool. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back