Youngs Harvest Scottish Heavy Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlingStu

Reaction score
Hi, the reason I'm reviewing this is that one of my fellow home brewers gave me a sample of this kit and it was lovely for a one can kit!
I've decided to give this a go myself as I think it may be a hidden jem.
Right so to start;
1.5 kg can
1kg dextrose
500g ldme
Made to 23l
Sg:1.042 (hopefully a nice session beer)
Pitched kit yeast at 24oC today at 2010.
My friend only used can and kilo so hopefully I'll have a bit more body!
I've always thought the youngs harvest kits to be inferior to coopers, but this has blown that theory out of the water.
I'll update if anyone's interested?

As DarkHorse says keep this thread updated. People want the 'money shot', what it tastes like. Then me or one of the other mods will move it to the review section :thumb:

Quick update,
Took a sample today and the gravity is reading 1.006 so looking promising. That makes around 4.7% abv and with priming pushing 5odd %.
The sample was crystal clear in the jar so will keg tomorrow, had a pleasent bitterness aswell will share the results in 3-4 weeks.
I think this will be a good base for a tweak maybe some crystal malt and fuggles additions?

I've done the. Youngs Harvest pilsner and the lager and liked them both but they really did benefit from hop additions. Picked up in the Tesco sale they're good value for money kits.

The Scottish heavy is ready to drink.
First off the head is my fault(still have to master pulling from a keg! Either all head or none at all!)
But that aside its a really nice everyday pint, it has a refreshing bitterness with more hop flavour and aroma than I was expecting, I think I may dry hop with 25g each of fuggle and EKG but tbh It doesnt really need it
I wiil be making this kit again, especially considering the cost £16 with the spray malt and kilo of brewing sugar.
Flavour wise THIS is as good as some 2 can kits that I've brewed.
I would recommend this kit to any new home brewer because it's easy to make, fast to clear and tastes very good. I think it would be good to give to friends and family to prove that you can make good beer at home.

image.jpg

Looks a great beer Stu,not had a pint of heavy for a long time.This is my Easter weekend brew kit .

Back