Homebrew is bad for your house!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good post to resurrect. It is easy to get complacent and forget you're dealing with 25L of boiling sticky liquid!

I always prepare my water the night before brewday, I collected 20 odd litres of water in my HLT, treated it, put the lid on and went to bed. The next morning I was rudely awakened by a plumber knocking on my door. Apparently the tap on my HLT was a little loose and the whole lot had drained out during the night. I live in an upstairs apartment. Homebrew definitely isn't good for my downstairs neighbour's house!

I always prepare my water the night before brewday, I collected 20 odd litres of water in my HLT, treated it, put the lid on and went to bed. The next morning I was rudely awakened by a plumber knocking on my door. Apparently the tap on my HLT was a little loose and the whole lot had drained out during the night. I live in an upstairs apartment. Homebrew definitely isn't good for my downstairs neighbour's house!

I use my old coopers fermenter (which has a tap) as a no chill cube. I'm begining to get worried that the tap might fail at some point and I will wake to 15 or so L of wort all over the kitchen floor. MrsQ would definately not be impressed. So from now on I'm starting to put the FV/cube in a builders trug for that ineviatable tap fail

Worst thing I've done so far is leave the tap open when filling the FV.
Well I put 1 Kg of dextrose in and then added 2 litres of hot water. Caught it quite quickly. However just a bit of dextrose and water on the kitchen floor was hell to clean up.
The black kick boards in our kitchen had a hint of white about them for quite some time.

I always make sure the tap is closed now and brew outside.

Latest posts

Back