Im going to attempt cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
I have a few apple trees in my garden which are bursting with fruit. I want to try to make cider with it. I had my first attempt last year and ended up with an off taste and gushers. I think they were infected so threw the whole batch away.

Am I able to sterilise the juice by using a camden tablet or similar?

I have some ale yeast I can use or do I need to get some cider yeast?

Basically I havent a clue with what Im doing :whistle:

Me too, was given around 50 apples but I can source a lot more. Was gonna make some myself so any tips would be appreciated.

I don't have a press so I'm just going to juice them, maybe not as efficient but I've a large supply.

I always make a point of chatting to people selling their cider at food festivals, country shows etc. They tend to use 1 campden tablet per gallon after juicing, then leave it to evaporate out before pitching. Never tried it myself, but I will be giving it a go this year, as the apple and pear trees are heavily laden.

I always make a point of chatting to people selling their cider at food festivals, country shows etc. They tend to use 1 campden tablet per gallon after juicing, then leave it to evaporate out before pitching. Never tried it myself, but I will be giving it a go this year, as the apple and pear trees are heavily laden.

I think I didnt use enough last year then. Will do 1 tablet per gallon.

I haven't attempted cider for some reason for nearly forty years, yet it was my starter drug into homebrewing. At the age of ten friend was given two carrier bags of apples and couldn't eat enough so made three gallons from the remainder, using baking yeast and recipe given to us on the back of a beer mat. Maybe the sheer damage caused after bottling, litterally glass blasting through door taking it off the hinges, put me off.

Today have a reasonable crop on the apple tree and invested in a 10ltr grommited bucket with the intention of making a couple of gallons and bottling into a 10 drinks dispenser so will have cider on tap. Not sure whether to blend apples then pass through pillow case to strain or blend and leave in bucket to ferment, tanin I wouldn't have thought was needed if peel was included but a few tea bags always ok. Have some cider yeast, will chuck pectolase just a wino habit.

if your using eating/cooking apples i would try and get hold of some Lalvin 71b yeast, it will reduce the acid level in the cider. Add your yeast 24hrs after dosing the juice at 1 camden tab/gal.

I got 2 of those big plastic builders tubs full of apples and got 3 gallons of juice using a juices (slower and not as efficient but cheaper and easier than a press). 3 campden tablets dissolved in a little juice and mixed in for about 24 hours before pitching yeast. Bubbling away nicely today. Ive added pectolase as well in the hope to get a better end result.

I got 2 of those big plastic builders tubs full of apples and got 3 gallons of juice using a juices (slower and not as efficient but cheaper and easier than a press). 3 campden tablets dissolved in a little juice and mixed in for about 24 hours before pitching yeast. Bubbling away nicely today. Ive added pectolase as well in the hope to get a better end result.

Nice! Lets us know how it goes.

I've just bottled. After doing about 20 bottles I realised I had not taken the FG reading. My OG was 1041 and OG 1002, which is 95% attenuation and 5.12% ABV. I tried the bit in the trial jar I use to take the reading and it is very very sharp. I dont think its vinegar from the taste, more like the sharp taste of unripe apples. Maybe I picked some a bit too soon.

Just looking on here again. My cider had vitually no sugar left in it so was very very dry. Needed to add some non-fermentable sugar to get a sweeter taste.

Latest posts

Back