Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cool. But if I buy anymore glasses my, as of today, wife will kill me.
I put on another ball and chain.

Me too. I 'liberated' a glass tankard from the pub, that I liked the look of, a couple of weeks ago. I had to put the teapot (which we never use) into storage on the top of the cupboard to make room in the cupboard for the tankard

That is a sexy glass, like! Tomorrow I'm testing if my tap is duff or whether it just doesn't like being used with the Easykeg bungs - if it's just the bungs my birthday money that was earmarked for the party star might need to be partly used to purchase that beautiful vessel! I'll just use one of my old glasses for water at work to make room in the cupboard.

Used my Partystar Delixe for the first time tonight. It's about 100x better than my old tap and my pint looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I think the lining has gone in this second hand Minikeg so the beer has a bit of a metallic taste! It's not bad enough to stop me drinking the beer but I think I'll be binning this keg when it's finished!

image.jpg

Tired my first beer from an easy keg tonight. Snapped the bung so couldn't open it and nice ended up with a glass full of froth, is that because the bung wasn't open?

Used my Partystar Delixe for the first time tonight. It's about 100x better than my old tap and my pint looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I think the lining has gone in this second hand Minikeg so the beer has a bit of a metallic taste! It's not bad enough to stop me drinking the beer but I think I'll be binning this keg when it's finished!

Funnily enough, this is my post in the what are you drinking thread.

Started with a apple and raspberry turbo cider. Now on a Slovenian hoppy pale. Been in the mini keg since Feb so some of hoppiness as gone. It's a reused keg and I can help think it tastes a bit tinny. Drinkable though.

Yes you need to open the bung to release the C02 before opening the tap at the bottom.

I'm reluctant to open the bung as want to keep the co2 in the keg, in fact now that I've consumed some of the beer the froth isn't too bad so I will leave the bung in until lack of pressure forces me to open it to get the beer out.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy more easy kegs or bottles for my next brew, if getting more kegs I'd probably ask for a tapping system (Leyland homebrew) for Christmas but realistically how long could I expect the beer to keep once tapped? I prefer drinking cask ale to bottled but I'm probably inclined to drink more than I should once started on a keg.
Leyland also have a co2 system which uses the kegs existing tap so this could be what I end up with.

If anyone has any input to help me decide I've got a few days till I order either some more kegs or pet bottles(or both again). Ideally I'd like to be able to spread drinking the opened keg over 3 weekends is this realistic or am I better off opening a bottle as and when?

I'm reluctant to open the bung as want to keep the co2 in the keg, in fact now that I've consumed some of the beer the froth isn't too bad so I will leave the bung in until lack of pressure forces me to open it to get the beer out.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy more easy kegs or bottles for my next brew, if getting more kegs I'd probably ask for a tapping system (Leyland homebrew) for Christmas but realistically how long could I expect the beer to keep once tapped? I prefer drinking cask ale to bottled but I'm probably inclined to drink more than I should once started on a keg.
Leyland also have a co2 system which uses the kegs existing tap so this could be what I end up with.

If anyone has any input to help me decide I've got a few days till I order either some more kegs or pet bottles(or both again). Ideally I'd like to be able to spread drinking the opened keg over 3 weekends is this realistic or am I better off opening a bottle as and when?

I find the first time I open the bung and take a couple of pints out then close it again the next night, the yeast has created more C02, not as much as when I first open the bung but still a significant hiss when I open it the next night.

If you get a party star tap you can easily keep your beer as long as you want, as you'll be injecting C02 into the keg

I find the kegs are good for certain types of beer whilst bottle is better for others. Beers with low carbonation are better in the kegs, well that's what I find.

I find the kegs are good for certain types of beer whilst bottle is better for others. Beers with low carbonation are better in the kegs, well that's what I find.

Same here. I don't think you'll ever get "full" carbonation in one without either stressing the keg or ending up with 8 pints of foam.

I've recently done an American wheat beer and bottled the whole lot. My next brew is the DIYDog Santa Paws which is based on a heavy so I'll do 2 kegs and 20 bottles. After that I plan a stout and I'll do that in 3 kegs and 10 bottles, then a pseudo lager which I'll just bottle.

Filled one of these with an all grain stout on the 9th august, opened it last night. I only do small 4 litre batches so these are perfect for me! I only used 15g of sugar but it must have been too much, very frothy took a while to settle but am buying more they are amazing. Didn't need to pop the bung until the last half pint! Pic of my stout below.

Question though is the party star tap really worth it?

IMG_3025.jpg

Filled one of these with an all grain stout on the 9th august, opened it last night. I only do small 4 litre batches so these are perfect for me! I only used 15g of sugar but it must have been too much, very frothy took a while to settle but am buying more they are amazing. Didn't need to pop the bung until the last half pint! Pic of my stout below.

Question though is the party star tap really worth it?

The reason it's so frothy is because you didnt open the bung before opening the tap.

Sorry for my ignorance but I am new to this home brewing lark. I am going to start off with wine but my kids like cider, are these kegs good for holding cider?

Latest posts

Back