Is my brew ready to bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal1

Reaction score
hi folks
This is my first brew, it's a coopers English bitter kit. The og was 1.037 my readings the last 3 days have been 1.017, 1.014 & 1.014 it's now day 9 not sure if it's ready to bottle as the instructions suggest the fg should be around 1.006 any ideas?

As it has gone a bit cold, I would try wrapping a towel (at least) around the FV and moving it, if possible, to a warmer place. Giving it an agitation from moving won't do any any harm.

1.006 is what you are aiming for, for sure, unless you added more malt extract, but as it has gone colder recently, the times suggested might be a bit short.

I would not bottle yet, but would add that taking hydrometer readings is not as straightforward as it might look. Most beers of your brew's age have a lot ot CO2 dissolved in them and unless you give the sample a good shake, the CO2 forms bubbles on the surface of the hydrometer and pushes it up to give a false (high) reading.

Latest posts

Back