Sanitising help needed please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a cheap, unscented, sodium percarbonate from Lidl called 'W5'. It's about £2.50 for a Kilo.

You could also get a cheap bottle brush from Wilkos for a couple of quid. I cut the end off this and stick it in my cordless drill :-o

What I do for a good clean is soak/submerge the bottles in the W5/water mix for 24hrs*, rinse out a few times, then use the bottle brush / drill to give it a real good scrub inside.

Finish with another rinse out then a scoosh of Star San to sanitise. :D

Surely this would remove all traces of your lemon Fairy...

*extra long soak is to remove labels/glue which works a treat

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, and this one seems the latest so hope you don't mind me asking a question?

I have been and got some of the Aldi Almat Oxi-White (1Kg tub),

The Ingredients says it contains Sodium Carbonate Peroxide and has >30% Oxygen based bleaching agents, less than 5% non-ionic surfactant. Contains Enzyme (Alpha-Amylase, Lipase, Protease), optical brightener.

Is this stuff OK for cleaning wine / beer bottles and getting the labels off?

I thought you should not use surfactants!?

Is it the same stuff as the W5 product mentioned from Lidl?

& If it is OK, how strong to mix it?
It comes with a scoop which works out about 30g, on the side says add 2 scoops to a wash.... but how many would I add to a 25 ltr FV to soak bottles in??

Grateful of any advise?

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, and this one seems the latest so hope you don't mind me asking a question?

The Ingredients says it contains Sodium Carbonate Peroxide and has >30% Oxygen based bleaching agents, less than 5% non-ionic surfactant. Contains Enzyme (Alpha-Amylase, Lipase, Protease), optical brightener.

It comes with a scoop which works out about 30g, on the side says add 2 scoops to a wash.... but how many would I add to a 25 ltr FV to soak bottles in??

Grateful of any advise?

Ive been using generic laundry oxi for cleaning for a few years now, and generally stick 1-2 scoops in a 5 gallon fermentor and fill to soak all the kit etc. if very bad dried on yeast sometimes an extra 1/2 scoop too,

BUT if u use too much and create too strong a solution if left to cool it can deposit crystals which are gonna weld themselves to the bucket bottom, and take a few kettles of off the boil water and a scrape to clean off,

Grateful of any advise?

As long as its unscented it should be an issue however the enzyme blends are interesting and are the same enzymes at work when you mash so it to break down organic matter. Make sure you rinse very well in hot water (75C+) to kill those buggers just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back