Dry Hopping a Wherry???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfracer

Reaction score
I have plenty of Wherry Kits... bought cheaper than cheap in the summer.
I love hoppy beers, Tribute and Proper Job as examples...

So.... can I dry hop a wherry and with what hop to get something drinkable?

I must disagree mate,surely 50g or so of pellet hops will change the flavour,the Festival and Youngs kits wouldnt be loaded with hoppy flavour if it weren't for adding the pellets?
I find it adds aroma and flavour.
Other comments welcome

Dry hopped a Wherry kit recently with 40g Styrian Golding leaf hops. Tried one last night and would say that it had a faint aroma, but a fairly pronounced hop flavour. (compared to other kits I have done without added hops) As this was my first foray into dry hopping I am pretty pleased with it.
For the record just chucked the hops in the fv for a week after fermentation had died down, gave them a couple of swirls with my paddle throughout the week and job done. In the future I will use pellets though as my recently bottled Youngs APA tasted amazingly hoppy at the bottling stage.

I must disagree mate,surely 50g or so of pellet hops will change the flavour,the Festival and Youngs kits wouldnt be loaded with hoppy flavour if it weren't for adding the pellets?
I find it adds aroma and flavour.
Other comments welcome

Your right. My Apologies. It's bitterness and IBU's that I was thinking of that dry hopping doesn't add :hat:

So would a sachet of fuggles finishing hops do the trick then?

How do i decide what type of hops to use though....:hmm:

I've bought some Citra pellets to dry hop a Wherry kit that happens to be sitting around, not sure at the moment quite how much to add - all 100g might be a bit overkill! I was wondering about boiling 20g with some of the wort to start with, and add back to the FV before pitching the yeast, then dry hopping after fermentation with another 30g. Should be plenty of flavour & aroma that way.

I've bought some Citra pellets to dry hop a Wherry kit that happens to be sitting around, not sure at the moment quite how much to add - all 100g might be a bit overkill! I was wondering about boiling 20g with some of the wort to start with, and add back to the FV before pitching the yeast, then dry hopping after fermentation with another 30g. Should be plenty of flavour & aroma that way.

I cant say whats right but ive got a wherry on just now,ive chucked 20g of citra pellets in before pitching yeast which will probably do nothing as it might be lost during fermentation but i plan to dry hop with at least 50g of citra.
Its all experimentation and all good
Good luck

Although I like Citra, I prefer it with lighter beers (amber ales etc). Wherry is quite a dark English-style ale, why not dry hop with Goldings or Fuggles (or a mixture of the two): 30g should do, wait for the initial ferment to die down and chuck them in 5-7 days before the end.

Just buy 100g of vacuum packed hops, more economical and the excess can be frozen for use later.

Just dry hopped 50g Vac Packed Citra Pellets to my Wherry. Its been in FV for 9 days, so will most probably bottle at the weekend... Smells divine!

bubbles still forming through the Hops floating on the top... enough to make me think it han't quite finished yet....
Do hop pellets ferment? Never had a wherry take this long!

Strangely the activity has ceased today... so it got bottled. had a little tipple from priming the syphon, and its not bad at all. Can't wait to see what its like after a few weeks in the bottle.
Put another 2 Wherry on, as I will try the cascade hops and do a 50:50 with the Citra/Cascade. Either way thats 120 pints of hopped wherry ready for february ish... somthing to look forward to!

I like this idea. Was the fermentation and dry hopping done in the same FV? I have just about finished the Wherry i have in my King Keg and wanted to replace it again.

I like this idea. Was the fermentation and dry hopping done in the same FV? I have just about finished the Wherry i have in my King Keg and wanted to replace it again.
Yes, same FV, just wait untill it looks done, then add hop pellets. It swelled up and stayed on top, with a scummy layer, but after I moved it to the "bottling station" ;) there was only a light layer on the top that i scooped off with a sterilised ladle. Bottled same as any other wherry...

If its half decent, it'll be sooo much easier than the Youngs IPA stuff, which just caused me headaches.
Having said that, I'm yet to taste either from the bottle...:cheers:

Yes, same FV, just wait untill it looks done, then add hop pellets. It swelled up and stayed on top, with a scummy layer, but after I moved it to the "bottling station" ;) there was only a light layer on the top that i scooped off with a sterilised ladle. Bottled same as any other wherry...

If its half decent, it'll be sooo much easier than the Youngs IPA stuff, which just caused me headaches.
Having said that, I'm yet to taste either from the bottle...:cheers:

If i was to Keg it instead of bottling i guess i would remove the pellets and scummy layer before moving to the keg and condition as normal?

If i was to Keg it instead of bottling i guess i would remove the pellets and scummy layer before moving to the keg and condition as normal?
Yes, I guess so...
Theres loads of sludge in the bottom, but if you are siphoning off, then its same as anything else I guess....
Worth a go.. if nothing else you'll have a hoppy wherry to enjoy!

Just had another on this ......

If I wanted to split the brew into two so I could try two different hop types would it make a difference not dry hopping over the yeast?

Just had another on this ......

If I wanted to split the brew into two so I could try two different hop types would it make a difference not dry hopping over the yeast?
Don't think so. Dry hopping is about a flavour being imparted into the beer afaik.
You can add it anytime before bottling, but adding it too early can reduce the flavour.

Well, the first lot is near to drinking.
CITRA - a strong citrus hop, with a high alpha acid. Very nice if you like the hop flavour, but is quite strong in taste. maybe a little less next time...Not over powering, but strong hops.

So I brewed 2 more.
Dropped the rest of the Citra into one and a reserved portion of Cascade into the other.
3 days later I bottled.
I took two samplers and tasted them at the end.
The citra is same as the first citra, so all's good there. The Cascade, is well....

BLUMMING GORGEOUS

Really complements the wherry and having half the Alpha Acid of Citra is not overpowering.
Cascade also seems to have a more rounded, sweeter(?) flavour.

Can't wait for February now to try these properly. I'll probably get another cascade Wherry on in the meantime... as it's that good, straight from the FV.

Deffo one to recommend.

Had my first Citra hopped Wherry last night,it's a different beer altogether compared to my first Wherry,absolutely wonderfull !
Tastes similar to Youngs IPA or a Festival Kit,I swapped the yeast on this kit and it has made a world of difference,fermented a lot better,tastes better and less sediment and more compact,oh and it's drinkable after two weeks instead of 4-6 weeks.
Recommended :hat::hat:

Latest posts

Back