Bung in 2" pressure valve cap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarets

Reaction score
I have a 2" pressure barrel cap which is missing the CO2 injection valve and thus has a small square hole in the cap.Currently brewing some bitter (no priming sugar will be added) but I want to keg it.

Can I use a rubber bung in the cap and will it hold pressure? Or is it worth splashing out a £10/15 for new cap and valve? Trying to keep costs down for my first brew just to see how it goes.

I doubt the rubber grommet will hold much pressure. If the beer goes flat you won't know if it was the grommet's fault or something else.

You can get a cheap cap for about £4 with just a prv (not the CO2 injection valve) or you can buy the valves on their own.

Thought as much. Do you have a link to that cap. Yeah the valves are £10 plus the holder and CO2 bulbs....hitting £20 already.

Would CO2 be needed on a Bitter brew in the barrel? I was thinking of bottling 5 litres and having 17 in the keg. With a fixed sealed cap would this hold in enough CO2 to enable the beer to keep over time?

If you do a search for 2 inch barrel cap on eBay you should get quite a few to choose from.
I doubt the barrel will maintain pressure for very long (maybe only a few pints) without additional CO2. This may be especially true if you are not adding priming sugar.

I have the same problem but with a couple of 4" caps. Hambleton Bard barrels so worth keeping but I don't want to splash £40 on caps :???:

I seen some caps advertised with bungs in them that looked like they were inserted from underneath i.e. the more pressure in the barrel the more force pushing in the bung.

I might try this and glue gun the outside of the cap where it pokes out. I have plenty CO2 and I'll experiment (a lot!) with water before I fill one with beer :D

Latest posts

Back