Pitching yeast onto foam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry, yet more inexperienced waffle!!!!! I started a stout kit yesterday and by the time I had finished aerating it it had built up a fair bit of foam on the top. When it had got to the right temperature I pitched the yeast onto the foam and some of it just sat there. I thought overnight the foam would dissipate a bit and the yeast would end up in the beer, however this morning there was still a fairly substantial head on the beer (wort??!!). I was a bit worried that therefore the yeast may have sat on the top of this foam and not entered the beer, do you think this is likely and if so what is the best way to remedy this, should I just leave it, or give it a bit of a stir?

Cheers!

Hi

Lots of home brewers pitch this way with no issues.

I doubt the yeast is still detatched from the wort. Most likely it will have picked up moisture from the foam on its way down. If it were still on the top it would be a very different shade of brown to the foam.

After 24 hrs or so, you can expect a krausen, which is a head of much smaller bubbles. If there is no evidence, it may be necessary to fold the yeast into the wort with a sterilised spoon.

Hi

Lots of home brewers pitch this way with no issues.

I doubt the yeast is still detatched from the wort. Most likely it will have picked up moisture from the foam on its way down. If it were still on the top it would be a very different shade of brown to the foam.

After 24 hrs or so, you can expect a krausen, which is a head of much smaller bubbles. If there is no evidence, it may be necessary to fold the yeast into the wort with a sterilised spoon.
I was thinking if it had had a fairly vigorous ferment it could well be krausen already, I'd expect any foam from airating to be long gone.

It's best to wait till the foam has dissipated. As you say some of the yeast is sat on the foam so it's not getting direct contact with the wort. As long as the fermenter is sealed with an airlock it will be fine

May have worried a bit prematurely, fermenting very vigourously now!!! Looking forward to trying this one!

Latest posts

Back