Can I use C02?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an s30 valve. You have a few options.

1, ask your local homebrew shop if they stock Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders. These screw on to release the gas.

2, Get a converter for a soda stream bottle. Again, you lhbs will be able to advise. If not the Brewstore or Hop and Grape will have them in stock.

3, Sparklets as Bob suggests.

:thumb: ok great, so once I have some bulbs and a holder, do I just use them when my kegged beer is getting a bit on the flat side?

If it has a pin sticking out in middle, which it doesn't look like it does (but hard to tell with the photo) then you won't be able to use the bulbs because the pin in the valve is used to pierce a hole in the bulb to release the gas.

I pulled the little pins out of my valves so that I could use the bigger S30 cylinders.

jimmychippy said:
:wha: Can someone clarify this for me?

Yup, if it has a centre pin in the middle of the valve, then it's for sparklet bulbs. If not, it's for an S30 cylinder. The basic valve is the same, but the sparklets need the pin to puncture the seal, and the s30 cylinder has a central button that gets pressed against the valve itself (the pin would press the valve before the screw thread had chance to seal to the bottle).

You would use the CO2 to replenish the gas above the liquid once some has been drawn out, to prevent a vacuum forming which could draw air back in through the tap and oxidise the brew.

Latest posts

Back