Calling all Greenfingers -- Clematis question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
Should I cut the growth back once they have finished flowering and if so how much by? :hmm:

The obvious answer is dig em up and replace with hops I know, but the Mrs won't allow it :roll:

Oh and AT - it says Clematis, not what you were thinking of ;)

Wez, really depends on the variety, whether they are evergreen or not and some varieties even have 2 flushes each year.

You need to bear in mind that after pruning they will need time to re-establish themselves. For instance if it's a Montana variety flowering in spring, it would be hard pruned in summer after flowering, allowing it plenty of time to put on new growth through the rest of the season.

The Nelly Moser type which can flower twice, early and late summer should be pruned late winter or early spring, allowing time for re-growth.

I always take mine down to 8-10 inchs, from ground level, heavily compost and leave alone.

If you know the variety pm me.

jb.

Great reply JB thanks :thumb: We have a few varieties so I'll check them tomorrow as I'm sure we left the tags at the bottom when we planted and send you a PM - good man, thanks :D

You're welcome. give me something to do tommorrow, it's supposed to be p*****g down all day :x

If you've got the label attached it may have the group no. on it. That will help.

jb.

I'll get the info when I go up to fill the bird feeders in the morning (very hungry birdies here at the moment :shock: ) rained non stop here today, the village that I live in will be flooded tomorrow, always does the day after heavy rain :roll: luckily i'm up one of the hills, it just rolls past me :D

We're so lucky here, watch the news and weather reports and really feel for people that have suffered because of this unstable climate. Some people loose everything, live in caravans for the winter because of it, have to deal with insurance companies who seem to be obstructive rather than helpful and still come up smiling.

jb

South East btw.

I agree JB usually the biggest buildings in city centres belong to insurance companies ;)

Thankfully the most we seem to suffer is the hight street and main roads are out of action, we have it for 24hrs then it's gone, we're kind of a bottle neck for water after heavy rain for a while.

I do feel for people who suffer with it though, apart from the nightmare of dealing with it, it must be hard to sell on a house that been flooded too, even though it's been 'done up' who'd want to buy it as i'm sure their insurance quotes would be awful!

Should have read it all. Interesting about the birds, the 'big birds', crows,magpies,rooks and hooded crows still come and take the left overs from the garage roof, the only birds on the feeders are greenfinches and blue ****. We get the odd blackbird on the lawn but in the spring/summer when they had a brood we were getting 10 at least in 1 go. There is plenty of woodland grub about at the moment and as that gets scarce I expect they will return.

jb.

Wez said:
I agree JB usually the biggest buildings in city centres belong to insurance companies ;)

Thankfully the most we seem to suffer is the hight street and main roads are out of action, we have it for 24hrs then it's gone, we're kind of a bottle neck for water after heavy rain for a while.

I do feel for people who suffer with it though, apart from the nightmare of dealing with it, it must be hard to sell on a house that been flooded too, even though it's been 'done up' who'd want to buy it as i'm sure their insurance quotes would be awful!

The only land available for building on around here is on the flood plane and they are going for it hell for leather (or they were 'til the crunch bit). Poor bastards who live in there.

jb.

jonnybeer said:
Should have read it all. Interesting about the birds, the 'big birds', crows,magpies,rooks and hooded crows still come and take the left overs from the garage roof, the only birds on the feeders are greenfinches and blue ****. We get the odd blackbird on the lawn but in the spring/summer when they had a brood we were getting 10 at least in 1 go. There is plenty of woodland grub about at the moment and as that gets scarce I expect they will return.

jb.

Finches and **** are what we're getting at the moment (we get a lot of coal ****), and of course the cheeky house sparrows :D the peanut feeders seem to be the ones that are getting bombarded, i'll have to get some pics :cool:

Mrs Wez has just asked me to ask you about her Jasmine, does she cut that back after flowering (winter flowering, small yellow flowers)

I'd like to know the anwers to the Jasmine also.
I have 2 in the back garden, one seems to throw very few new shoots each year and the other loads.

Hi, Jasmine is fairly straight forward, all you need to consider is not allowing a build up of old wood. I've taken this info. from a R.H.S. book as I dont have any of these plants. It also says that late spring pruning will produce less flowers.

Now Mrs. jb says,'why havn't we got any jasmine'

Sorry, can't help any further.

jb.

Thanks JB, I'll prune after flowering I think then...

Message from Mrs Wez says that she loves her Jasmine, definetely worth getting one if you have room, it adds some nice late season flowering to the garden.

Now Mr JP - get yourself out and get one :lol: :party: you've been told! :grin:

it adds some nice late season flowering to the garden

It's the aroma on a damp summer evening that's addictive :lol:
I remember sitting in a hospital in Phucket (Thailand) whilst swimbos broken leg was mending and a doctor came into the room. He asked how she was, then put the kettle on, went into the room balcony garden and came back with a head of Jasmine flowers.
He plonked em in the cup, poured boiling water on em (the smell was lovely) and said, drink this it'll make you feel better.......but don't tip the cup back as the little worms that live in the flowers will be in the sediment on the bottom :lol:

Fond memories :cool:

Clematis, come in three groups

Group 1, Cut back hard to a bud each year after flowering
Group 2, Cut back half the last years growth each year (To a Bud)
Group 3, Leave the hell alone

I've two Niobe (Group 2, a really rich deep chocolaty maroon), and a pink/lilac one (Group 1) They both get similar treatment I'm afraid :oops:

Back